Monday, December 22, 2008

An early Christmas gift

I went to work today, as I do every Monday now, and was working away, calling the feed plants, placing orders when all of a sudden - NOTHING. The office building goes dark, computer shuts off, and I think... this is not good. So, coworkers gather, we chat about what happened and an hour later the power is still off. Then, we get the announcement: "This building is being evacuated. Please exit the building as soon as you can." YEAH! I joyfully exclaim "Yea! I have a full afternoon without the kids!" (which my coworkers thought was pretty funny) It seriously couldn't have came at a better time. I had a few odds and ends to finish before Christmas, a few presents to wrap, and I have been so damn tired lately as the kids get me up every two hours that I was in a fog today. So, yes, happy early Christmas gift to me! I enjoyed a nice leisurly lunch at Panera, stopped home to check work email and put out a few fires, then headed shopping!
Silly me, but I couldn't believe how busy the stores were today! Seriously, don't people work -or- was it a blackout everywhere? But, I had the whole afternoon, so I didn't let it bring me down. I got everything done, picked up kids at 4:30 and headed home. It was fabulous!
All the presents are wrapped, now just to clean house, start some cooking and I am done. The holidays should be fun. I am glad they are here and I will be glad when they are done :-) I really love spending time with all the family, but sometimes it feels as though the holidays are more about the hustle and bustle and less about what it is really about. yeah, I know, I sound like a cheesy Hallmark card. Anyway...
One of my stops tonight was the Gap. I got Evan some of the cutest clothes and they had the best sales. I bought a pair of overalls, 4 shirts, and a warm fleece full body suit. Now, if I would have paid full price for each of these items, the total would have been $116.50. BUT, because of my savvy smart shopping, I got them all for $27.00. I know - awesome! I love it when I can find deals like that! I think Kate from "Jon & Kate Plus 8" said it best with: "I don't work full time, so I take it as my job to save money for the family." I clip coupons, I hit up garage sales and try to find sales such as these at fun stores.
We had a great weekend. Tim and I had a date night which was so needed.! I miss him! I miss our time together. We are so busy with the kids that we rarely have time to ourselves, so it was nice. Our daycare provider gives each of her family's free baby-sitting for a night for our Christmas present. She even came to our house. Emma loved having her here, she was bouncing off the walls and showing her everything. Theresa brought along some games, nail polish, etc for the occasion. It was very sweet of her.
Saturday and Sunday were filled with shopping. Emma and I had a lot of "Emma and Mommy" time as we went looking for gifts for the family. It was fun and needed as her and I don't get time alone that often either. Evan did good here with Daddy and enjoyed the male bonding time also. He is normally with Emma and Me, plus the three neighbor ladies, so I am sure he likes some testosterone. (did I spell that right?)
Kristen and I made a whole bunch of candy with the kids and enjoyed a movie afternoon on Friday also. Plus, Kyra made a "fun club" which pretty much meant the little girls would play run around in Kristen's house and I would push Kyra around and chase them. I think everyone had a great time AND we made 4 different kinds of candy.
One more work day, which will be really busy given our unexpected time off today and then I am done for the week. Tomorrow night will be busy cleaning and then it all begins. Once again, I am really looking forward to it, but it will be busy!
That's it. Even though I could actually watch the Packer game tonight, I have to get to bed. Emma and Evan have been fussy sleepers and I desperately need some good sleep. I hope to update a bit over the holidays also and Emma wants to send out some holiday greetings. Anyway, Merry Christmas!! Be safe on the roads and enjoy the time with family!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

#1 - Was this blackout a planned gift from your boss, or was it really a problem?!

#2 - Free babysitting on an evening? That is an amazing gift, so heartfelt and meaningful! How nice for the two of you!

#3 - Merry Christmas Kel & family! :)

Hugs, Sarah