Sunday, March 10, 2013

Life as usual

Life continues to go on in the Heuer house.  Some updates:

Emma is busy with school and enjoying every minute of it really.  While homework can still be a struggle with her at times, she enjoys school a lot, is getting pretty good with reading for a first grader, and is learning math concepts I swear I didn't learn until I was about in third grade.  She continues to enjoy ice skating and playing outside in the snow. It is not uncommon for her and Evan to play outside by themselves (with Sage protecting nearby) for at least an hour.  Many times after we get home from work/school/preschool, they will go outside to throw snowballs and do a bit of sledding before supper.

We had Emma's school conference with her teacher about two weeks ago and it went really well.  Mrs. Dahl assured us that Emma is doing well for a girl her age and is performing as expected for a 6 year old.  She did say that Emma is very social and can get her mind off of task at times, but overall she is doing very well.

Emma's days away from school are spent playing with her iPod, her dolls, lego's, and annoying her brother.  She loves listening to music and is often found just listening to her iPod to music in the car going places.  She is getting to be a better eater and may be going through a growth spurt as she seems to be stretching out a bit too.

Evan enjoys preschool (most of the times) and had fun in February with all of their extra events, such as pajama day, dress as your favorite story book character day, and wear your favorite color or something like that.  For his story book character he chose to wear his dragon Halloween costume, so we had to find a book to go with it :-)  
We have been provided comments by his teachers that he is doing very well, is a great listener, and follows instructions better than most of his fellow students.  Their observation now is that he would be ready for Kindergarten next year (gulp) but many that know me, know that I am hesitant to put him in next year.

Evan loves games, electronics (iPads, leapsters, and smart phones), playing cars, annoying his older sister, and helping his Mama.  He is a great helper in the kitchen and is incredibly self-sufficient.  While Emma will ask for absolutely everything first before being told no and that she can get it herself, Evan will just do.  He gets his own water, finds his own snacks, and thinks he can do everything by himself.

Evan and I have a routine in the morning getting ready for work and preschool.  I make a cup of coffee every morning and an egg sandwich.  He makes his own hot chocolate (with my help heating the milk in the microwave), puts it in a to-go mug, and packs some cereal and we are off.

I have my plate full with two classes the past three months.  I am taking one class for my MBA and one for a Supply Chain certification.  I am on the last Supply Chain class and hope to have my certification the end of March.  This will waive an MBA class as well, so it serves as a double whammy for me.  What it doesn't do is give me a lot of spare time in the evenings.  Thankfully I have DVR taping my favorite shows and in about 3 weeks (with a successful passing of a supply chain class I hope) I intend to wear pajamas for an entire weekend and watch TV.  Wishful thinking I realize, but it is a nice thought after a hectic 3 months of studying.  I also have Croatia to look forward too, as I am planning a girls trip to Croatia in May!  WOOT!

Tim is great and continues to be employed by Best Buy, even though they have had some negative press lately.  He is doing a great job building up the Geek Squad and is impressing many people there!  He is busy planning a big Moose Hunt in September.

Our family continues to be busy, but happy and incredibly blessed.  We are lucky to be able to relax at the cabin and spend time together between the hectic weekdays with school, swimming, and ice skating.

No comments: