I was relaxing the other day and reading the Sunday Pioneer Press when a front page headline caught my eye "Diapers? We don't need no stinkin' diapers!" It was an article about potty-training infants. Nothing I have not heard before. The parents are basically trained ( I still find it hard to believe that a 12 week old can do this on their own) to know when their infants are messing or wetting their diaper and they set them on a little bowl, a sink, or a tiny potty. I still find that to be extreme. HOWEVER, they had a bunch of specifics in their article about how the US is far behind the world in the age kids are potty-trained. Many are trained by 1 year old. That being said, I knew this was something Tim and I would have to tackle with Emma at sometime, so I figured I may as well start introducing the potty to Emma.
That night, I could tell when she was messing her diaper, so I set her on the potty. She went!!! She actually did! She was excited because I was excited and I proceeded to give her M&M's. Well, ever since then, she wants to sit on the potty - I am sure just to get M&M's. No other success's, just the first time. Emma usually wakes up from sleeping at night, with a dry diaper, so I am starting to get in the habit of putting her on the potty to see if she will go. Today, no such luck.
So, today we went to Walmart to do some Christmas shopping and Tim and I discussed buying Emma a little potty and some little undies - which are SO CUTE! I came home from Walmart with the potty, undies, pull-ups, and a book on potty training. So, I got them out and Emma loved them all! She had to sit on the potty immediately. Then she got up, got some toilet paper to "wipe herself". I figured, okay, put the diaper back on - which she absolutely REFUSED! Finally, I wrestled the diaper on her and went to put away my groceries. Before I know it, I look over and her diaper is OFF and she is sitting on the potty, then climbing off.. sitting on it... climbing off. Such a fun toy! I try to get the diaper on and she refuses again. So, I put on a Dora pull-up. Next thing I know, that is off and she is doing her dance on the potty again - on/off/on/off. She would not stop until I put the potty chair away while she was sobbing.

Finally, while I was making lunch she seemed content pulling all of the pull-ups out of the package and putting her Dora undies on - over her diaper.

I am happy she is enthusiastic about the potty, but she still doesn't get it. Which is fine, I was not expecting her to get it right away as she is so young, but I know many people are successful in potty-training young toddlers. What the heck - might as well try.
This weekend we are off to Milwaukee to visit family and friends. Tim is off hunting (last time this year!) to S. Dakota to find more pheasants, so Emma and I are going with Mom & Dad to Milwaukee. Should be lots of fun!
2 comments:
This is why I like kittens...just throw them in a box and they get it! Haha!
I giggled out loud several times while reading this post. Ahhh... you make me want kids. Well, I want them anyway, but you really make me want them. So cute. So challenging. Such a learning experience. Ahh, fun. Sigh.
And you're visiting Ande this weekend! Yeah!
And P.S., "successes" not "success's" (Dude, it's my job.) Love you! Talk soon.
Post a Comment