Thursday, December 17, 2009

Too much to do, too little time

I think that is going to be my rolling theme. Maybe I should change my blog name to that instead of "Just Another Day". I know I haven't posted for awhile, our lives have been crazy.

Last week was a trip to the water park. Great Wolf in WI Dells. Overall, we had a great time. If you ask Emma, she will chatter your ears off about the trip. Since it was non-peak time and they had many, many rooms un-booked, we were upgraded. We were upgraded to a loft suite, so we had two double beds, a pull-out couch, and a loft upstairs with a bed & TV. Well, the loft quickly became "Emma's room" and she was SO excited for that! She settled in and pulled everything out of her suitcase and proceeded to put clothes in the drawers and dolls on the bed and put her bathing suit on. It was pretty cute.

The water park was fun. It took awhile actually for Emma to get used to some of the rides. It kind of bums me out that kids cannot go down the slides with the parents anymore. It is hard to talk her into going on a big twisty-turvy slide by herself by watching Mama, who goes first and waits for her. She did go down a few, but it took a little convincing. Once she did it, she loved it, but it took a few tries. But, she is only 3, right??

Evan did pretty good. He liked the little baby section and was pretty proud to climb up the baby slide all by himself and slide down. He also thought it was pretty cool that we had a staircase in our room and was constantly going up and down, following his beloved sister. We are discovering his love of sports already as there was a pool that had 2 basketball nets and many balls floating around. He could have spent all day in there with one of us, hanging on to the balls and trying to make some baskets.

Tim and I decided to cut our trip a night short though. We checked in Thursday afternoon and were scheduled to check out Saturday. Due to absolutely no sleep Thursday night (because of colds, kids, etc) we left the dells Friday night so the kids could sleep on the way and we would all be in our own beds. It was wonderful. All-in-all it was a good time. I enjoyed the Shopping outlets next door and Tim enjoyed a nap, along with the rides of course.

Last weekend was jam-packed with Christmas tree buying, decorating, Christmas shopping, Sunday School, Birthday party, colds, and catching up on sleep. The Christmas tree is fun. I couldn't believe how excited Emma was to decorate it. Evan was too, but that usually was more trouble than anything. His favorite thing right now are the bulb ornaments on the tree. Everynight he takes at least two of them off the tree and throws them in the air - "BA! BA!"

This week was a long week with colds and a tummy bug of some sort. Evan has been suffering from a cold for about 2 weeks. It is not a horrible cold, just long lasting. His nose has been running and he has been coughing. I went out and bought a humidifier last night for him to ease the cough a bit. Emma also had a cold last weekend, plus a nice visit from a stomach bug. Now, I am here to tell you that there is nothing worse than waking up to a screaming kid at midnight "MOMMMY!!" and going into the room to find that they are having stomach problems. Enough said, I am sure. That is when the real parenting kicks in I think. Both Tim and I go into super drive to clean and calm her down. It is not something that I want to experience again for a long time. Hopefully whatever she had is not contagious and we do not get it.

This weekend we are around here with no huge plans. Finalize shopping, wrapping, plus a date night out. A much needed date night. For Christmas, the neighbor and I are swapping baby-sitting, which is great. I am thinking we should do that once a month :-)

That's all. I am tired and feeling really behind.

For anyone that wants to feel a little lift right now or wants to feel as though they are doing some good, think of donating to St. Jude's Research Hospital. One of the radio stations I listen to up here (K102) is doing their radio-a-thon for St. Jude's Children hospital. What a wonderful time to do it, in my mind. As I am running around, stressing about what to buy, what to cook, etc, it is great to be reminded of how LUCKY I am. They are trying to get people to become Partners-in-Hope, which is a $30/month commitment for a year, but honestly just want anything that someone can spare. $5, $10 whatever. There is nothing worse than hearing stories of 1 or 3 year old suffering from a horrible cancer/disease and really not having any hope. They go to St. Jude's and maybe their life is extended for a few months, or a few years, whatever. But all donations go to research and helping those families. Sometimes I feel as though I am in a rut and not doing any good, wish I was doing more, etc. I donated money on Wednesday and I instantly felt better. I was recently surprised with a raise at work and feel very happy that some of that raise money will be going to helping out some families that need a little lift themselves.

Anyway, I probably spent too much time on that, but I know I get so wrapped up in all the trivial things of the holiday.. the cards.. the cookies.. all the presents, that I needed to remember how fortunate I have it and that the important thing is family and health.

No comments: