Friday, December 4, 2009

Bah Humbug

It is too bad when the innocence of a three year old is taken advantage of. So, I think I mentioned in my last post that the kids, my Mother, and I celebrated Dazzle Days (or some other catchy title) in Durand last weekend. It was full of holiday spirit... exotic petting zoo (reindeer, camel).... Christmas music... and carriage rides. So, kids and I are in line for the carriage ride. Behind us is a white trash family. Sad, I know, but true. Talking trash, talking loud, being obnoxious.. I am sorry, but stereotypes happen for a reason... Anyway, we are almost to the front when WTF (white trash family) start talking about Santa and have the AUDACITY to say something about how Santa is not real. WTF!! Emma, bright blue eyes wide, looks up at me and says slowly, "Mama... Santa is real, right?" SERIOUSLY!! WE ARE AT A HOLIDAY FUNCTION!! I look at her, almost feel like crying, and say, "Yes, Emma, of course Santa is real. You just sat on his lap, remember?" (which she did earlier at the Dazzle Day bake sale.) I shoot the family the worst possible look, kind of a "I would totally cardio-kick-box your ass if my two little kids were not here right now" and turn back around to reassure Emma. The mother of the WTF said some lame-ass thing like "okay kids, stop talking about Santa like that, you know he is real." Whatever.. damage done lady.

Emma hears everything. Even when I think she is not listening, she always is. She is so impressionable now and to have some punk-ass kids ruining Christmas fun for her makes me so mad. That night on the way home she brought it up again. We were driving home and she was watching some movie when out of the blue she says, "Mama, Santa is real, right?" Of course, pleading blue eyes searing into my soul. So, I try to think of some way to reassure her again. "Yes, Emma, Santa is real. You sat on his lap, saw Mrs Claus, and saw the reindeer. He is real. Those kids were just always on the naughty list and he never came to visit them." Damn punk-ass kids.

So, now I am on damage control. We wrote Santa a letter with Christmas lists this week and I have a feeling that the kids will be getting a letter back soon. Everything possible I can think of, I will do. Kids grow up too fast and to have something fun like this taken from her already just doesn't sit well with me.

Bah Humbug...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just so sad...poor Emma

Anonymous said...

horrible....seriously

BUT - I have just the thing for you - you MUST go do this... http://portablenorthpole.tv/home/

enjoy!!