Sunday, February 28, 2010

King of the Mountain

I love it that my kiddo's love the outdoors. Granted, I think most kids love the outdoors, but mine REALLY enjoy it. If I tell Evan we are going outside, his eyes get huge and he toddles into the laundry room and attempts to put on his outdoor gear. Emma is a pro at that by now and can get ready all by herself. Much of our time this weekend was spent outside and it was awesome... but... backing up....

This week went great. Work was busy, as usual, but we were rewarded with some time out with my coworkers on Wednesday night. We went to an Irish Pub and had some great snacks & drinks while Tim was here with the kids. Wednesday nights are gymnastic/dance nights, so he had a plate full. Emma can get herself ready and knows the routine by now, but not the Ev. I was told that while Emma was enjoying herself at class, Evan was having fun watching her and wishing he could be in their also playing along... ie. banging on the glass windows, running around, and just being a handful.

Thursday, I took a half day off, and took my two little ones and Miss Kaylee down to the farm for a quick vacation. They were all going to spend two nights visiting with Nana and Papa. The car ride down was interesting as the two little girls were SO excited about their mini vacation. They kept talking about where they would sleep, what they would play, and if they could share a bed at night. Constant chatter, constant laughter, and constant "Girls - keep it down, Evan is sleeping!"

Tim and I enjoyed our few nights here without the kids. We went out for an anniversary of sorts to a favorite restaurant and then went out with my co-workers again on Friday night to celebrate a new opportunity for a friend of ours. Friday, daytime, was lovely for me. I totally cleaned the house and then I enjoyed coffee, shopping, yummy lunch in Stillwater and quality sister bonding time. Much needed for both.

Saturday was the best day. After a slow start on my part, we made it to the farm around 11 and were reunited with the kids. There is nothing better than seeing the kids, after being away for a bit, and have them so excited to see you!! Evan and Emma could barely contain themselves. It was awesome. Both Tim and I were excited also, as it was said many times Thursday and Friday.. "I miss the kids!" Alone time is always nice, but I definitely do miss the kids a lot when they are gone. Saturday was a sledding party for cousin Aubrie and it was so much fun! It was on the same hill that we used to sled on a lot when we were kids, so it was very nice to have my kids enjoy it just like we used too. Emma wasn't scared and went down right away with Kristen, Kaylee, and I piled on a tube. She went down a lot for awhile, until a small mishap (a slight bump at the bottom of the hill) scared her for awhile. Not long after that, she bounced right back and was back at it. The best part about our sledding adventures?? The snowmobiles to bring you back up :-) Those were definitely a kid favorite, as they went for rides in a little sled that rides behind the snowmobile. Evan, especially, is a big fan of the snowmobile. He would usually ride on that with Tim when the other kids were going down the hill. I have many wonderful memories of sledding on that hill when I was little and I am sure my kiddos will have the same.

Today, finally, was a low-key quiet day. Sunday School started us off, then not much of anything. We colored, played play dough, cars, took naps (me too!!) and then went outside again. After a quick walk, I showed Emma how to play King of the Hill on a small snowbank in the front of our house. She definitely wasn't shy trying to keep me from the top and loved it when I would roll down the hill and then pummel her with snowballs. Yes, I was being gentle with the snowballs, but it was really fun to play with her like that. She would run away, hollering, and then would taunt me "You can't reach me, you can't reach me!!" until I would chase her. It was really a lot of fun.

Anyway, this week continues to get busier with the addition of swimming lessons on Thursday - Evan too - which he will really like.

Staying at home and relaxing is over-rated, right??

No comments: