Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Just Another Day in Paradise

Ah yes, aren't they all just little days in paradise? Haha! We are now just bumming around - not too much going on. Every night after work, we let Sage out right away and play. Hopefully, I get to Sage before the kids do. They know how to open up her kennel and if I am not around, it is not unusual to see the little pup sniffing around the house. She will be a partial indoor dog, she is just not ready or trained for that yet!

Some stories to share:

A few weeks ago we were over at our neighbors, the Petersen's. The kids LOVE going over there as they have a very friendly dog, Henry, a little outdoor pond that is stocked with goldfish, and 2 cats. Evan is constantly going from the "ish" to the "Meow's"s. The hard part about this is that the cats do not appreciate a little tow-headed boy chasing after them with his arms wide open, yelling "MEOW!" So, unfortunately, most of the time the cats are hiding under the deck. He keeps an eye on the cats, bends way over to get a look at them under the deck, stretches as far as he can to pet them, normally with nothing to show for it. So, finally with much coaxing, the cats came closer to Evan. What does he do when they get close?? He puts his arms out like claws and goes "ROAR!" - yes, our little dragon showing his head. Those cats ran away from him as fast as they could. Sadly, I say to Evan "Evan, cats do NOT like dragons. Dragons scare kitties" He looked pretty sad, but seriously - did he really think the cats would appreciate a dragon's roar??

Emma has been acting better - which is great! I love riding in the car with her now as she loves the radio. She can sing along to many of the songs and many times says "Mom - turn it up, I LOVE this song!" Her favorites?? "Take me down to the little white church" "God is Great, Beer is Good, People are crazy" and "Rain" or something like that. (lyrics: Rain makes corn, corn makes whiskey, whisky makes my baby feel a little frisky) It is so hilarious to hear her sing as she gets some words right, is a little pitchy, but goes at it with gusto!

One other thing I thought was particularly funny was a comment from Sunday. We were leaving the cabin on Sunday later than normal. She thought we were going to be leaving in the dark and it took me a few times to convince her that no, we were leaving while it was still daylight. She looks at me and says, "Well Mom, who made that decision?" No lying...

So, we are on like week 4 with Sage. Sage is pretty good. Still nips, jumps, bites hair and clothes, but all-in-all is a very loved dog. She attended her first night of "Puppy Kindergarten" with Tim today (yes, I wish I was kidding about that) and per Tim, she did okay. The problem I am finding with having a dog is that now Evan sometimes thinks he is a dog. (when he is not being a dragon of course and scaring cats) He laps up drinks from cups, hops around on his hands and knees, and likes to put toys in his mouth now and holds them like Sage does. Somehow I need to convince this kid that no, he is not a dog, no, he is not a dragon, but my sweet little boy. He has been needing to be rocked at night and sometimes in the morning again, but I am not complaining! I love it. He grasps my hand and falls asleep instantly.

I registered for my first class today. Statistics starting on September 14. Luckily I will be at the St. Paul campus, and not Minneapolis, and I believe my work schedule is changing so Tuesday will be the day I work from home. That means I can see the kids in the morning AND pick them up before class!

Off to bed. "ROAR!"

2 comments:

Sarah said...

GREAT post :) Your kid stories crack me up.

Big smiles :)
SP

Andrea said...

You'll be 31 when you start class. I will still be 31. Sarah won't be 31 yet, but she will be soon.

You're welcome for the update. I should make up math problems for a living :)