Wednesday, June 3, 2009

work dilemma

Okay, I have a work dilemma. My boss scheduled a meeting with me on Tuesday out of the blue (yup, made me nervous) just to talk. Turns out we are going to be getting some new responsibilties in our group and wanted to know if I wanted more hours. He is open to anything or nothing, but just wanted to know. He said I could work a few days every day, go to 4 or 5 days - he is open. Now, I have always been somewhat nervous of my part-time status as that makes me vulnerable to being let go as it is not the norm. My employer doesn't have a lot of those 'non-typical' work arrangements and I am definitely in the minority with my job-share. My boss told me I wasn't vulnerable, but was a strong player in our group (YEAH!) and he wanted to check with me.

So... this has been in the back of my mind. Do I go to 4 full days a week (with the possibility of working from home for one of those) and become a full-time employee? 32 hours is all I need there for full time status. The extra money would be nice, I would get all the benefits, which would be nice... BUT - one less day with the kids. I REALLY value my time at home. I feel fortunate that I have been able to work part-time as long as I have. However, I would still have 3 day weekends, still have one extra day with the kids that most parents, I would get vacation, could plan more for our futures, etc. But, sometimes the thought still makes me sad. Emma sometimes still cries for me in the morning if she is awake when I leave. THAT KILLS ME! Evan is still so tiny yet, I haven't stayed home with him that long yet. Tim said to put together a list of pro's/con's, dollar amounts with more money vs. the added costs.

How do I put a quantity on 11 more hours with my kids each week??

If I did decide to work more, I would not start until the end of summer, so I would still have that.

So.. that is my dilemma. I hate making decisions...

No comments: