Monday, October 19, 2009

Finally enjoying the Fall

Finally! Nice Fall weather! I feel cheated, actually, as Fall is my favorite season and so far it has not been nice! But this weekend we took advantage of it. Tim was off on one of his hunting trips, so it was just me and the kiddo's, but we still got out a lot and had a fabulous time!

Saturday was Afton Apple Orchard, which was awesome! They had so much to do there from a hay ride, to a big play area for the kids, pumpkins, corn maze, little cow train thing, and of course, the apples. We tried to take advantage of all of it, so first was the play area. Thankfully Emma didn't want to stay there too long. I find that I am a hovering Mom, especially since my kids are little yet, making sure that Emma is being nice, taking turns, and that no one is pushing/jumping in front of her. I wish there were more hovering Moms, so that it would make the play area's a bit more enjoyable for kids. Let's just say there was one HORRIBLE experience with a kid at a play area and especially since then, I need to make sure everything is okay. But, that makes it a bit difficult with a one-year-old who cannot do everything that Emma can do. Anyway, the play area was enjoyed for only a little while. After that- the hayride and off to pick apples. This was Evan's favorite part as this kid LOVES apples. He can eat almost a whole small apple; he gnaws/bites/gnaws some more and that little kid can get a lot off of an apple. He sees one (even something that looks like an apple, like a tomato in our fridge) and he is grabbing for it and biting it. Anyway, the tractor dropped us off by the Harralson apple trees and Evan was in heaven. Picture this kid with eyes wide open, Pointing up at the trees "See!" and then to another tree "See!". Then, he promptly picked up an apple off the ground and started to eat. Yes, I replaced that one with a clean one, but he was loving it!! Emma helped me pick a few more for our bag and we were back on the tractor and heading back. By then, Mama needed a little snack so we bought some apple donuts, apple fritters and had a light snack. The next thing was the cow train, which probably sounds odd, but Emma just HAD to try it! They had barrels painted and decorated like cows that the kids could sit in and then a tractor pulling it around. Emma was in heaven! It was so fun to watch her do that all by herself.

After that was home for a much needed nap for the kiddo's and some quiet time for Mom. We headed into Stillwater after that to pick up our last CSA vegie box. The CSA summer was fun, but we are not sure if we will participate again. However, one thing I have to share: on the way there, we were stopped at a stop light. Just sitting there, when all of a sudden Emma chirps up "Hey Lady, get off the phone and drive!" I start CRACKING up as she obviously has heard me say that a few times!

Saturday night was the Boo Zoo at Como Zoo, which was really cute and kid friendly. We dressed all the kids up in their Halloween costumes (the neighbors came along) and off we went. After paying admission (even the adults, which I can't say I cared for) we were led along a path at the Zoo which was decorated and lit up for Halloween. They had different area's for the kids to go trick-or-treating, so they got some practice for the big day. The nice thing? It wasn't really candy focused - sure they got some, but they also received stickers/popcorn/nuts/snacks. It was good.It was very kid friendly - no scary things - just fairy tale characters, etc. It was a LOT of fun. My little butterfly and ferocious dragon (who I almost got to say ROAR) had a great time.

They were totally sacked that night and we enjoyed Sunday with Papa (my Dad) who came to visit. We shopped at Fleet Farm and got some winter stuff for the kids and then enjoyed a supper at Culvers - YUM! All-in-all, it was a fabulous weekend!

No huge changes with the kids since I last posted. I think they were really happy this past weekend to get outside and enjoy the weather.

I, however, have decided to postpone grad school. As much as I really want to, I just don't know if I have the time to do it right now. I know everyone says that "you will never have enough time" etc. but with the kids still being so little, I think I want to devote my time to them. Even now I feel behind on my housework and other hobbies that I cannot imagine what I would feel like if I had school work, etc to do also. I don't know, I am disappointed, but right now I feel that is the best decision for me and the family. I have been feeling overwhelmed with it and even when I sit down to apply to St. Thomas, I just get road-blocked. Not a good sign.

Anyway - this upcoming week is book club - YEA! Girl bonding is needed :-) (We just read Monique and the Mango Rains, which I recommend highly! A true story of a peace corps volunteer working with a midwife in Africa.) After a weekend with no hubby to help out, I am looking forward to getting out a bit! This weekend is also Sunday School, which is good. It will be nice to get that more in our routine, as Emma had a great time.

A few pics:

Why I am SERIOUSLY doubting our day-care provider's ability to watch my children! I cannot believe what she dressed Evan in for the big Packer/Viking game. At least Emma tore it off when it was put on her. Obviously, Tim was overjoyed. I wanted to gag.



Evan - getting ready to go outside. I like this hat on him.



Emma by the pumpkins. She cannot WAIT to carve or draw on them. Maybe this weekend with the other little book-clubbers :-)


And both kids sitting in out hallway hang-out. The popular spot to sit and be seen. Evan just sits there with his snacks - Emma has to sit there because Evan does.

No comments: