10K day - finally - after a summer of knowing it was coming and training (for the most part, I will call it training - I was not as dedicated as I should have been, but I did train) it finally arrived. It was a rainy/yucky morning. It drizzled for part of it - we started running at 7:30am- was windy for part of it, but overall, I would just call it yucky. It didn't really bother me until about mile 5 - then we headed down hill towards the finish line and it was really windy. Even more incentive for me to run faster. I ALMOST made it to my goal, my goal was to finish the 10K (or 6.2 miles) in less than an hour. I did it in 1 hr 24 seconds. Not bad. My pace was 9:44/mile - so not bad. Pretty good for my first one - and possibly my last. Not sure really- it felt good and may be the farthest I want to run for now. The sad part is it bothered my hip and my knee today. Man, this 30 stuff is getting tough! Tim was laughing at me yesterday, I was surprised at how stiff I was... although I have never been that good at stretching.
The Toddler Trot - Emma was so excited! That is all she could talk about all morning. Every 5 minutes it was, "Mom - when can we leave?" "Mom, I want to go" "MAMA! Is it time yet?" Finally - it was. Now, I am really not sure why they had the Toddler Trot at 11:30. Pretty close to Emma's naptime, I should have seen something coming.. anyway - she was so excited! She had on her new T-shirt and race number and with her bud Keira, she was ready to run. Her and Keira were hanging on to hands and couldn't wait to go.
Finally, it was their turn. Jess (Keira's Mom) and I were with the kids to help guide them along the 50 yard course. The horn or whatever sounded and they took off - Emma really did, she was ready to run. Then, something happened (it all happened so fast, I am not really sure what went wrong) But Emma ran into another Mom, fell over, and was done. She got up, wiped herself off and started crying. Not just lightly crying, she was bawled over, nothing could stop it, crying. Now, whether the Mom stopped short or Emma wasn't watching where she was going, I am not sure, but it totally ruined the whole experience for Emma. She wouldn't run, wouldn't walk, I had to carry her to the end. I felt so bad for the poor monkey as we have been talking about this all summer and for it to end like that, was too bad. I am not sure if Emma was disappointed, scared, sad, or what, but it totally ruined her little world at the moment. She got a medal, we found her a sucker and she was back to normal. But, I still feel bad.
Saturday night was a block party at our neighbor's house (not the sister), so that was a lot of fun. No other little kids showed up, just ours, but that didn't phase Emma one bit. She had to go out and eat with the older kids. I was a bit nervous about that as she is 3 and they ranged in age from 10 to 15, but they were all so good with Emma. Evan and I sat out there with her (but she proudly marched out there first with her plate and sat right on down) but for the most part she was talking to the kids. The kids (3 boys and 1 girl) were talking to her, making her laugh, and couldn't have been any better with his little girl who wanted to make new friends. The two oldest boys even commented on how cute she was. Seriously, how many 15 year olds do you know that would do that? I was very happy for her and she had a fabulous time.
Sunday morning was the start of Sunday School, which Emma was also very excited about. (here is Emma proud and ready to go)
Now, teaching Sunday School for me went well. I could not believe how fast the time flied - I was so nervous that we wouldn't have enough to do with the kids, they wouldn't listen, etc - but they were all very good. We did have a cryer and a few shy kids, but for the most part, they did the crafts well and loved the little games we played. We played Musical Chairs (but whoever didn't get a chair got to wear a crown and got a sticker that says "Jesus Loves Me" and the kids LOVED marching around to music playing that. All-in-all, good times. Not that nervous about doing it on my own now.
Evan also had a big weekend as he really started walking - like from room to room walking. He still does the monkey walk as Tim calls it - arms up in the air or balancing him on his side - wobbly- kind of walking, but he can make it a long way. He is so proud of himself too! He gets this big excited look on his face and puffs his cheeks a bit - then, when he reaches me or Tim he lounges forward with a huge smile on his face!!
Tim had a great birthday - thanks for all the birthday wishes! We got a baby-sitter and went out to eat on Thursday and enjoyed yummy drinks and food at our favorite restaurant Phil's. I had the BEST SALAD EVER! And for me to say that, you have to know it is good. I normally never eat the salad. My philosophy is "why waste the stomach space when you have the good food coming next." Anyway - my salad was bacon/fried egg/weird lettuce in a vinaigrette (I have no idea how to spell that). It was awesome - I ate the whole thing! So - for those 6 people out there that read the blog - if you ever see it on a menu - get it!!
(I had to add some pictures of my little guy too!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment