We are enjoying the last four weeks before school starts. I am hoping to do some fun things with the kids on the four Fridays we have left, maybe the Mall of America, State Fair, who knows. Emma, in preparation for Kindergarten, got to go to school on Monday to meet with her teacher for a half an hour. Tim and I had some paperwork to fill out and Emma was being tested of sorts to see what she knew.
Emma did great. Her teacher ran through numbers, letters, colors, shapes, sentences and all sorts of things. Yes, we have some things we could work with her on before school, but her teacher assured us that Emma was more than ready for kindergarten and that Emma has great self-confidence. So, what was my favorite thing about the meeting? Emma's teacher takes her in the little room and asks Emma to spell her name. Emma first, then Heuer. However, the teacher mispronounces Heuer. What does Emma do? "Actually, my name is Emma HEUER" and pronounces her name correctly for the teacher. Not a big thing, I realize, but I was proud of Emma for telling her teacher that. Plus, her teacher thanked Emma for correcting her and told us that was a good thing for Emma to do also.
Emma is also doing a 2-week free trial of Karate this week. Tim and I have both discussed the benefits of Karate and have decided we want the kids to try it and continue with it, if they like it. Emma so far is enjoying it and Evan really wishes he could try it also. He is really happy when Emma teaches him how to do it :-)
Evan has been a little spit-fire lately and we have been having to reign the little boy in a bit. He needs to learn that everything he does is not always cute and that if he is naughty, there will be consequences. If he is naughty, or I put him in time out, or even reprimand him, he looks down, will go limp or fall on the floor and will not do anything. For example, I was trying to get him to go up and take a bath yesterday. He said No approximately 3 times and I told him that wasn't okay. So, he kept saying No. I picked him up to put him in his room for a few minutes and he instantly went limp in my arms. He is complete dead weight as I am carrying him up the stairs and I put him on his bed and he folds over. I am not sure why he does that, but whenever he is getting a serious talking to, he slumps over and goes limp. Not fun.
This past weekend we had fun visitors up to the cabin - Kristen and the 4 kids! Emma and Evan just love it when little people are up there to play with them. It is constant jumping off the dock, swimming, splashing, and having fun. It is neat to watch the kids from year to year or even month to month with how much they explore and do in the lake.
Thankfully, after my last post, life is going much better here in the Heuer house. Thanks to all for reading/listening and to the thoughtful comments and emails I got from friends. It is great to have such a wonderful support system and to hear the "you are not alone! been there, done that" comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment