Christmas has been such a blur this year (as can probably be accounted for by my lack of blog posts.) No matter how hard I try to be prepared, the week and half leading up to it always seem frantic, stressful, busy, but fun. This year I had most of my presents bought early, but could be found late evenings (not blogging) wrapping presents while enjoying a cheesy Christmas movie on TV. Oh, how I heart a cheesy Christmas movie on the Hallmark or Lifetime network. Tim does make fun of me because of it. And yes, they are the same story each time with either a widow or corporate exec. The widow inevitably finds love and the corporate exec gets fired, moves to Colorado and coincidentally finds love as well. And then, it snows. Sigh.... I think I like them because the story always ends happy. Anyway, I am digressing....
The weeks leading up to Christmas were busy with my wrapping up of my B-Law class, Sunday school for Evan, Faith formation for Emma and I, and the baking, the wrapping, the shopping, and everything in between. The nice thing is that Tim and I decided that the weekend right before Christmas, we would go to the cabin for a holiday reprieve - and it was nice. We went out to eat one evening, did some ice fishing, had some movie nights, and relaxed without my pile of unwrapped presents or mounting list of holiday to-do's.
We enjoyed ice fishing both days of that weekend and had some luck with the crappies. Both kids had fun with that and sliding/boot skating on the ice. We went to town one day and Emma and I bought some ornaments that were on our Christmas list and we savored some family time together without the disruptions of our computer, stores "lowest prices of the seasons" sales, and other distractions. It was nice and needed.
(and, I have to add much to Evan's embarrassment in the future - he had some big news as we were leaving the cabin on Sunday. Our going-home-from-the-cabin-ritual always includes packing whatever toys/clothes/misc items we brought, loading the cooler, packing snacks, and going potty. This particular weekend, the truck was packed and Emma was in the truck. We were waiting for Evan to come out so we could lock up and head home. He excitedly opens the cabin door, puts his little fists in the air and exclaims, "Daddy! I peed through my undie hole! I did it!" and then he bounces out of the door and down to the truck. --- and yes, to those that are wondering what that actually means - he was able to go potty without pulling his undies down - the big boy way. You can figure it out from there.)
The week after was busy with our last night of Faith Formation with the giddy kindergartners, final shopping and last-minute returns, book club for Mom (and much needed girl time), karate, and other stuff. Then - the big days - Christmas Eve Eve with Emma's school Christmas party and some unexpected snow, Christmas Eve with a fun kids party, and the big day. More on those later!
No comments:
Post a Comment