I have wanted cross-country ski's for quite some time now. I did a lot of pricing in stores, online, but never liked how expensive they were for really not knowing if I would enjoy the sport. I thought cross country skiing would be a great way to get some good exercise in the winter and still be outside, plus I see some people cross-country skiing around the lake at the cabin and I wanted to be that person. :-) Finally, last year I made it out cross country skiing at the Lake Elmo park reserve with some friends when they had an afternoon of demo's, practice, free lessons and rentals. I loved it and got a great workout - so I figured this was my year to bite the bullet and buy some.
I went searching on Craig's List one day and found some that I thought would work. Lo and Behold they did! I paid some cash ( a lot less too than buying a new pair!) and took them home and went out in the backyard to try it out. I loved it!
On Sunday before the Packer game, I decided to go out in the backyard again to do some skiing. Emma came with me as she decided she was going to run along side me to get some exercise. She tried running, she tried to use her little kiddie snowboard, and then finally said, "Well, Mama. This just isn't working! You should buy me some ski's too." To be honest, while I was looking on Craig's list for ski's for me, I was looking for little sets for the kids as well. I figure the more emphasis I can put on being active and enjoying winter, the better for them in the long run. And, I just knew that if they both saw me out there, they would want to be there too.
Since I couldn't find anything on Craig's List, Emma and I went to Play it Again Sports to see about finding her a little used set. Once again, we got lucky and found her a little pair of skis, boots, and poles that fit her pretty well. The boots require 2 pairs of socks and are still a little big, but hopefully they will work next year as well.
We came home and she instantly put on her snow stuff, boots, and had to get outside. I tried to warn her that skiing is harder than it looks and that it is okay to fall and then she was off.
I was/am so proud of her! She appeared to absolutely love it and bounced up when she fell and was out there as long as she could be. She went around the yard once and then worked on going downhill. She still has a long way to go, but she didn't want to stop and that is what I was happy to see. I tried to teach her as much as I could about skiing, but since I am new to the sport, I didn't have a lot of insight to offer. Together though, we did okay and it was so much fun! Her smile and laughs were definitely worth the money to buy the skis and I know that once we get snow again, her and I will be out there trying it out again.
When we were in the house and she was drinking hot chocolate, I asked her how she liked cross country skiing and she said, "Well Mom, I wasn't really cross country skiing. I was just practicing in the back yard. I wasn't going that far or across the country, so I was really just practicing."
Now, of course, Evan wants to get out there too on some skis which I think is great. One person told me that they have seen some parents (instead of buying special boots and bindings for the skis) duct tape their kid's snow boots to a little pair of ski's. That way the little ones can still "practice" and there isn't as much of a cost. So, we will see. Hopefully soon there will be snow!
No comments:
Post a Comment