Sunday, March 11, 2012

Evan goes to school. . .

It was Emma's last day of school before Spring Break, so Evan and I decided to meet her for lunch. She was excited, Evan was excited and I was leary. Evan hasn't been too willing to leave the house lately. To say homebody doesn't do it justice... so, what is a word even more extreme than homebody? I am not sure, but I am working on it. Anyway, Emma got on the bus that morning with the promise that Evan and I would meet her at 11:45 outside her classroom.


So, around 11:00, Evan and I start packing the lunch. ( so far, so good) Of course, he has to help. He actually is a good help around the house, sometimes. He gets out 4 pieces of bread, jelly, peanut butter, a knife and spoon. Then, we sing the "Peanut, Peanut Butter... and Jelly" song. (we always have to sing this song when we make them :-) ) I actually think by the end of the sandwich making endeavor he gets more peanut butter on himself and the table than on the bread, but whatever. He is helping.


After the sandwiches, we add carrots & ranch, raspberries, a few chips, and homemade chocolate chip cookies to, not a lunch a bag, but a Lightning McQueen backpack he INSISTS on wearing to school. I suppose he figures Emma always wears a backpack, he needs to as well. He seems satisfied and somewhat excited to go.




Leaving the house always seems to be a struggle. Evan is never wearing socks and always seems surprised when I ask him where they are when we leave the house. So, while I thought we were leaving in plenty of time to meet Emma, we ended up rushing out the door (with Evan not wearing socks, but his Lightning McQueen boots instead) and hoping that Emma does not have to wait and worry about us.


The school parking lot is full, we park on the road, I try to convince Evan to hurry as he slowly makes his way up the sidewalk, I finally pick him up and rush him in, slap our "visitor" stickers on and sign in, and make our way to Emma's classroom as I see her nervously looking around for us. Just in time - of sorts. She had the nervous, biting her lip look about her. But, once she saw us, she was all smiles and ready to show off her little brother. Then, both were in their element. While Evan is normally shy at first - Emma was picking him up, her friends were picking him up, Jack (Emma's Jack - haha) was excited because Evan had the same backpack he did, so that made Evan excited and it was all good! We made our way to the lunchroom and started to eat.

The home lunch was a hit, Evan was a hit and Emma was so excited that we could make it to lunch and meet her. Just one of the perks of not working on Friday.

No comments: