You know you are getting used to working in a manufacturing plant when:
1) You start wearing less and less eye make-up because you figure, “What the Hell” no one can really see my eyes under my protection goggles anyway.
2) Your language is sounding more like a truck-driver and less like a person who used to work in a corporate environment and needs to be PC all the time
a. We are NOT PC here – not even close
3) Steel toed shoes feel more comfortable and you are envious of someone else’s pair as they look more “trendy” than your run-of-the-mill Red Wings. Then – you ask them where they got them.
a. Sad to admit, but I have done this…
b. The nice thing is that we have Shoe trucks that come once a month to the plant and offer the latest and greatest steel toes. I get a $65 stipend each year for a new pair. No Manolo Blahniks yet, but I may start a petition.
4) You realize you can sleep in longer, as your morning routine is now: throw on some jeans and a long sleeved shirt, brush a tiny bit of makeup on, and put hair in pony = done.
a. The plant is typically freezing, so a fleece or fleece vest is put on immediately upon arrival anyway
5) Over lunch during an all day meeting, it seems perfectly normal for your team to Google “Sports figures with the most kids out of wedlock” and proceed to laugh and tell off-color jokes the rest of the day about it
a. True story – and the results are sad and hilarious at the same time. Pull up the totalprosports link – it is ridiculous
6) You consider putting a Carhart coat or vest on your Christmas list (but resist the urge), to, you know… fit in with the “cool kids”
So –that’s it. My new normal --
I emailed this to my dear, previous Coworkers, so they could either be jealous or mortified!
1 comment:
Ahh love this! I worked in a plant before I worked at LOL. Another petition you need to start - uniforms! When I worked for Kimberly-Clark in Texas, we got a stipend for shoes and uniforms every year. AWESOME. No money wasted on work clothes whatsoever meant more money to buy whatever you wanted. Loved it!
Post a Comment