Tuesday, July 23, 2013

When minds get going....

Tonight was a night that reminded me that allowing your kids to think freely, no technology is a wonderful thing... more on that in a few --

The kids had eye doctors appointments tonight, which went really well. Both kids were champs and have 20/20 vision - thankfully.  We came back to a fun little box that came in the mail for me - some jewelry from Woot!  It was packed in bubble wrap and a bunch of fun stuff.    This prompted Evan to decide to wrap up a rock in bubble wrap, put it in the woot box, wrap the box in newspaper and see if, when dropped from the deck, if the rock would break.   Hmmmm...

He tried this several times, with several different rocks, the same box, different newspaper and lots of tape.  I cannot decide if he liked the wrapping of the box the best or the unwrapping to see if the rock broke.  He tried several different sizes of rocks, different heights, and other methods to break the rocks.  His last attempt was to wrap up a small rock in bubble wrap, put it in the Woot box, Wrap the box in newspaper and tons of tape.  Then he instructed me to grab the biggest rock I could find (although he showed me which one he wanted) and I was to drop the big rock on the box to see if the small rock in the box would break.

Unfortunately through all of his experiences, the small rock did not break.  The big bubble wrap broke, the box was all busted up, but the small rock stayed the same. (and when I say small rock, It was probably 3 inches in diameter.)  He seemed happy with all of his experiments and had a great time.

While Evan was doing this, Emma was playing cafe.  She set up all the chairs on the deck, made open and closed signs, took my order and made me an actual strawberry whip cream sandwich.  She gave me a flower to decorate with and was having fun playing Katie's restaurant.  ( because now she wishes her name was Katie)

We came in and Evan decided to play duck, duck goose with all of his stuffed animals because no one else wanted to play.  I am not sure how that one worked out for him, but I could hear him up in his room running around and when I walked up to check on him, he had all of his prized stuffed animals on the ground in a circle.

Emma was writing stories and making a "Do Not Come In" sign for her bedroom door.  Lovely....


No comments: