Wednesday, March 25, 2009

back in the pool

Yup, I made my first trip to the Y tonight to do some swimming and it felt fabulous! I seriously recommend swimming to anyone looking for a great workout- Great cardio, but because you are in the pool, it doesn't seem too bad! I don't know - I really enjoy swimming.. in a pool that is. Get me in a lake and it is a completely different story. Hopefully that will change this summer. I will force myself to go swimming and not to think about all the weird fish in the water that could bite my toes off or something like that....

Yea - it is my Friday! No real plans with the kids. I am hoping to figure out whatever is going on with Evan. I feel bad for the kid, I am experimenting with everything I can think of to help him out. He has had some rough nights lately - the past two I bet he has been up an average of 5-6 times, which is super rough - but what can you do? Tylenol, me not drinking milk, acid reflux medicine, swaddling, Nuk's, crying it out, I don't know what else to do. Hopefully his little teeth will pop soon (if that is it) or his acid reflux medicine will work (which we are starting again). I spoke with an Occupational Therapist today... aka Kristen.. and she recommended trying one thing or the other for 2 weeks straight before we decide to try a new method. She suggests this to her families, so that is what I am trying. We stopped his acid reflux medicine after about 4-5 days as he hated it so much and it didn't seem like it was working. However, I was reading the web today about infant A.R. and his symptoms sound match what they were saying. They also suggested mixing his medicine with Hershey's syrup so he would take it better. SO - For the next 2 weeks, he is on acid reflux medicine and I am trying to cure him of that. If, that is what it is :-) I just wish the kid could talk... it would make life so much easier.

Emma has been really good at home lately, a pretty good helper, not so whiney, and overall improving. Then, I pick her up from daycare today and get the report that she is pushing her brother over when he is sitting on the floor. Nice, very nice. Evan loves sitting up now and is so proud of himself - he sat by himself surrounded on toy island for probably 30 minutes tonight, happily chewing and playng. Now imagine you are relaxed, happy, and your big sister comes and pushes you over! NOT GOOD! She does it for attention, I realize that, but that doesn't mean I like it. So, her and I have a conversation about it tonight.

Me: So, Emma, Theresa tells me you are pushing Evan over. That is not very nice! He is too little and you need to be nice to your brother.
Emma: Yup. He is my little brother.
Me: Yeah, I know. Now imagine how you would feel if he pushed you over.
Emma: He can't. He is my little brother and I am bigger and bigger and bigger than him.
Me: Yeah, I know. But what if he could push you over. That wouldn't be very nice and I don't think you would like it.
Emma: But he can't. Mama- want to dance with me?

And that is trying to rationalize with an almost 3 year old. Lovely.

We are up to the cabin this weekend. Tim and I are going on a date tomorrow night! We are getting a babysitter so we can go out to happy hour tomorrow night - yeah! Just a quick night out. It should be good :-)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I have had a long day (not sure why I'm still awake) but that conversation between you and Emma made me LAUGH OUT LOUD, and tears sprout up in my eyeballs.

Hilarious.

Thanks for sharing! You (and the two of them!) will cherish this story in future years!