Sunday, January 10, 2010

Here a Nuk, There a Nuk

everywhere a Nuk, Nuk!

Evan is at that age where we are starting to trim away the baby stuff and introduce big boy stuff. We are cutting back on bottles and giving him sippies,giving him bowls & spoons instead of letting him use his hands and what could potentially be the hardest: taking away his Nuk's (pacifiers for those who may not know.)

At his last doctors appointment (which, on a side note, Evan is tiny for his age. A whopping 23# for the 25% percentile, his height is the 25% too. Odd, I know since his parents are very tall), I asked the pediatrician if having the Nuk could delay his speech. The answer: yes, cut out if you can. So, I told Tim and told daycare and that is the plan. We won't cut it out totally, just during the day mostly. Evan is not so much on the band wagon on this one. It seems as though he has taken to storing them around the house so he knows where one is if needed. Most of the time he does well without Nuk's AND he has been talking a lot more. However, at the oddest places and times, Evan will come out sucking on a Nuk and smiling away. If he is mad at something or someone(Emma) he will walk away and come back sucking on a Nuk. I will be cleaning and will find Nuk's at the oddest places: toy box, tool bench, under chairs. The oddest spot: in a lamp shade. Yea... figure that one out?! Not sure how he planned to recover that one, but I am sure at the time of placement he thought, "Ah yeah, this one is golden!"

Speaking of improving speech, I was watching a certain football game today and towards the end, I was staring in disbelief at a play and just happened to yell out "AH - SHIT!" Emma looks at me and yells "MAMA! You are NOT supposed to say Shit. It is a bad word!" Tim is almost dying laughing. At this point, I am still rather upset over the football game, but still manage a smile. I needed it at that point :-) Tim and I are not sure how she knows that is a bad word, but she had to keep me in line.

We had a very busy weekend. Emma saw her first movie! I took her to Alvin & the Chipmunks on Saturday. She did well! Emma really liked the popcorn and sat okay for most of the movie. Towards the end she went from my lap, to the chair, so standing. Overall though, I call it a success. We went to a dog show in St. Paul to start researching our future dog. It turns out we will most likely be getting a puppy in the spring - A Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Tim wants another dog for hunting, which unfortunately doesn't sit too well with Emma. She loves dogs sometimes, but she tells me she is afraid of hunting dogs because of a computer game where the hunting dogs eyes are yellow. They scare her. I think that once we get a puppy, she will forget about that. Anyway, I am not so certain about getting a dog, but I do love puppies. Tim told me that these breeds are good hunters, very good with kids, and very trainable. AND, I can run with it, which would be nice :-)

Here are some random pics that I have been meaning to post.

Tim found this little pedal tractor up in our garage. Needless to say probably, but the kids loved it. Emma thought it was cool to hook it up and pull Evan around. Evan loved it too.



You have to admit, it is pretty cute! And of course, if Emma has to do something, Evan does too:




And Aunt Kristen, I guess:


Although, she doesn't appear to be the best driver. Here she is almost running into Emma. Evan thinks it is pretty funny though :-)



Here is Emma before we went to the Children's Theater.




And out getting our Christmas Tree



And decorating the tree







Off I go to work on my blog book. . . maybe.

No comments: