Monday, October 4, 2010

Words to go by

What a busy past few days. Sorry it has been so long! Now, I know that you, my loyal readers, are not expecting stories a few times a week. However, I did tell myself that I need to do this for my children. This is their life story - their cute sayings - their outings & trips - and their memoir of sorts. I need to keep remembering to find the time to update this so they remember how darn cute they were when they are older. Plus, it will give me something to remind ME that they were darn cute when they are teenagers and difficult!

The past few days have flown by. Between my school, puppy class, homework, playing, fun play dates, time just flies. Let's see.... last weekend Emma and I were at home as Tim was building a garage at the cabin. Fun times.... ! My mother came up to stay and help with the kids as I had a very fun wedding to attend! A dear friend and co-worker had a beautiful ceremony at a State Park and then had a very fun wedding reception in an outside shed that was beautifully decorated with white Christmas lights, candles in mason jars and beautiful wild flowers everywhere. Emma and I attended and danced with some friends and had a great time. It was fun to watch Emma on the dance floor getting down with the other little people out there. She didn't know many of them and at times, none of them, but she was still out there laughing, dancing and having a great time. All of my friends there commented on how weddings just aren't as much fun with children and are hoping to do a book club goes clubbing sometime soon - haha!

This past weekend was another swirl of activity! The kids ran in a "fun-run" at the State Capital with some friends. It is something like a 500 foot run and at the end all kids receive a medal and a t-shirt. Emma had some nervousness surrounding her race this year as last year she had an incident and ran into someone, fell down, and instantly started crying. This year she proudly proclaimed "Mama, If I fall down this time, I am going to get up and keep running!" Words to live by. It was suggested to me that I print that out, put it on a frame or something for Emma to have as she gets older. Not a bad idea! Evan had a great time as well. While he got a little antsy waiting to "Run Mama! Down Mama!"as the run was at 11:30 (I know, seriously? Right at nap time?) he had fun doing it. Emma and her friends did awesome! Emma sprinted to the finish line, no falling down this time! and excitedly jumped up and down with her friends when they received their medals "We got a medal! We didn't win but we still got a medal!" It was fun and I am glad we did it. I did not do any running this year (except along side the children) and was okay with that. Maybe another time when life slows down a bit.

After the run, some much needed girl time! Tim stayed home with the kids so I could go out to the Olive Garden. Ahh - how relaxing! It is so nice to have time away to breathe, relax, and think of other things than playing cars or putting clothes on Barbies. The nice thing is that the ladies in attendance thought the same thing! We have a wonderful support group, we laugh, cry, bounce ideas off each other and just have a great time together.

Emma had her first day of Sunday School this past weekend. She was so excited to go and had a fun time. I was a little nervous as last year I was always there with her as I was the teacher, but I should realize by now that Emma can hold her own! She excitedly ran to her table with her Baby Doll (as it was bring a stuffed animal or doll day) and started coloring her bible story picture. The nice thing is that they follow the same format, so I think there was comfort in that. Evan, however, didn't do so well. He doesn't really sit well in church and tries to do the running man in my arms when I am carrying him. He lasted about halfway through with various snacks, books, and other diversion tactics and then I gave in and checked him in to the children's play room. It is staffed by parent volunteers and filled with toys, a small slide/jungle gym, and lots of cars :-) He loved it and I may have to use and volunteer in that room again.

The apple orchard was Sunday early evening with some friends. More little people running around, laughing, and enjoying the beautiful fall weather. Man, I love fall! On Sunday morning, we woke up to frost covering our yard. Emma was excited for what she thought was snow, but when I told her it was only frost she got a bit disappointed. She wanted to go outside, investigate it, and pick some raspberries. However, I told her the raspberries may be hurt because of the frost. Her response? "But Mama - you love raspberries in your yogurt! These darn seasons! They keep changing, changing, and changing! First summer, then fall, then winter, then spring. Argh!' So cute - so funny!

Other things....??? We went to a local bowling alley/chuckee cheese sort of place this week. The kids had a great time playing the games, eating the candy and best of all? Laser Tag! This is all Emma could talk about. She very seriously told me all about it before we got to the bowling alley. "Now Mama, we are on the red team. Breezy and Theresa are on the blue team. We try to get them with the Laser gun, but don't worry, it doesn't hurt. It is just pretend." We actually played 2 games of laser tag. Tim and Evan joined us for the second one and they both loved it. Evan insisted on wearing the large laser tag vest and diligently carried the laser gun around and tried to "get" people. He had fun looking for Daddy and Emma.

Evan is starting to put together small sentences. Two or three words maybe? He is still constantly climbing and bouncing. When I pick him up from daycare, he grabs my hands and starts jumping on my legs. Then he bounces on my lap and gets up and drags me somewhere. It is exhausting! Such a difference between boys and girls. He had two exciting moments yesterday and today with the potty! Both times he did what he needed to do and there was much clapping and celebration around this. He was happy to get a treat and I hope it is slowly sinking in what he needs to do.

That's about it for now. I do have pictures from all the events (plus, Tim's birthday!) but those have to wait until another day.

Now - words to go by: "If I fall down, I am going to get up and keep running!"

No comments: