Last weekend, the kids and I decided to participate in the "Kids Lead the Way" 1 mile family run at Stillwater to raise money for something. I cannot remember what right now as it always seems we are participating in something, but it was a fun event and we are always happy to help out the school.
As Tim was out hunting that day, the kids and I joined Craig and the girls at the 1 mile run. After registering and buying the shirts for the kids, we head out to the field towards the start. The kids are all in good spirits and are enjoying seeing some of their teachers there outside of school and are looking forward to the run. When it is time to start, Kyra, Emma, Evan and I start out running and get ahead of our pack. They continue running for a little while, stop a bit, and then start up. It is not long after that when Kaylee starts to join in running as well. The course was at the Stillwater high school, so it was fun to see the huge school the kids will be at a few years down the line. The kids take turns running, walking, skipping and hopping and I switch between running and struggling to run while carrying Evan. We are nearing the end (which was really only a half mile, but we were so slow that others really running the mile were really at the end) and I was pushing the twins, the girls were running ahead and Evan was happily riding on Craig's shoulders. People are taking pictures and handing out ribbons to everyone who finished. The girls are very excited with the ribbons and are chatting excitedly about their accomplishment.
We decide to do one run/walk along the track around the football field as Evan was now decides that he is Lightning McQueen and has to take a spin around the track. He was happily zooming around the track making various car noises and sticking out his tongue and the girls are still pretty much running the course. We finish, grab some water and head out. It was a busy morning after the run with the Home Depot craft project, kids safety displays there, and grocery shopping and we finally make it home.
Then the kids start fighting, which they seem to be doing constantly now. It goes something like this:
Emma: "I won the 1 mile race today. I got a ribbon. Evan didn't get a ribbon, so he didn't win."
Evan: "Yes I did Emma. I won too Emma!"
Emma: "No you didn't. You didn't get a ribbon. I was way ahead of you, so I won."
Evan: (looks at me with big, blue, curious eyes: " Mama, I won too, right?!"
Me: "Yes, you both won. Emma, just because Evan didn't get a ribbon, it doesn't mean he didn't win."
Emma: "Then, why didn't he get a ribbon?"
This continues for a few minutes and I hope they will work it out. However....
--- it was sometime during this fight that Evan took the ribbon away from Emma and Emma pulls it back and I have to get in the middle and take the stupid fifty cent ribbon away. That leads to yelps from both kids and a stern look from me with a warning: "you fight about it and it becomes my ribbon"
Finally, I come up with something and tell the kids that the reason Evan didn't get a ribbon is because he was on Uncle Craig's shoulders. Since Uncle Craig is such a tall guy, the people handing out the ribbons couldn't reach Evan, hence, Evan not getting a ribbon. Both kids won because they had fun and there were not winners or losers today because it wasn't a competition. ( I am also wracking my brain trying to figure out what I did with my ribbon and why I didn't make sure after the run that both of my children had a ribbon.)
Both kids seems fairly content with this answer, but of course, just to stir the pot, Emma has to say, "Well, I was still ahead of Evan and finished before him. "
Grrr....
No comments:
Post a Comment