Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Royal Duties

It as been so wonderful outside lately! We have been enjoying the beautiful weather lately and definitely taking advantage of what could be the last nice days before the snow flies. The past few days have been filled with side-walk chalk, apple picking, mini races in our driveway and much time spent on the mini gator.


Emma is still enjoying kindergarten and I enjoy seeing her run off the bus and excitedly telling me about her day. She had a fun field trip a few days ago to an apple orchard. She got to bring a sack lunch, have some apple cider and apple donuts, and pick out a small pumpkin to bring home.


We hadn’t heard anything more from her teacher about Emma being sad or unsocial at school, so I thought it was time to meet her for lunch. WOW – was she excited! But, I was hoping for that response. It was decided between her and I that I would bring in a lunch for both of us and then she told me how some parents wear a crown, read a book, and the kids can ask them questions and that she really, really wanted me to do that. “MOM? Can you please come into my room after and read a book? Please, Please? That would be super cool!”


In anticipation of the big lunch, I emailed her teacher to see what time her lunch was, make sure it was okay, and to ask about the book reading thing. Her response? “I would love it if you could come in and be our royal reader! That would be great.”


So… it was set. I met Emma at her kindergarten room right as she was coming in from recess. She saw me at the far end of the hallway, flashed me the biggest smile I had seen for a LONG time, and excitedly grabbed my hand and headed to the lunch room. All at once, her little classmates were milling around us, asking me questions, talking to Emma, and following us to the lunchroom as well. They were showing me their lunch bags, telling me what they were getting, and chatting about recess. It was so fun to be there and Emma was beaming and so proud the entire time.


Emma picked out a table at the lunchroom and we sat down to eat our sack lunch. All of the little kids sat down by Emma and I and continued their rambling talk about school and everything under the sun. I was surprised at how quickly the time flew and before you knew it, we were lined up and heading back to the room so I could be the Royal Reader.


When we got back to the room, all the kids sat on the reading rug and I was led to the rocking chair by Emma. Her teacher got down a big box full of crowns and royal wands and Emma got to pick out what crown I got to wear and what royal wand she got to use. As all the kids settled down, the teacher told me what the plan was. Emma, being my royal helper, got to use her magic wand to pick kids and have them introduce themselves to me. So, it was “Hi Kelly, my name is ” for all of the classmates. Then, Emma picked out her library book for me to read to them, Where the Wild things are. The kids sat and listened pretty well on the reading rug and Emma decided that she wanted to sit on my lap and listen to the story. After the story, Emma got to use the magic wand again to call on kids so they could ask me a question. The questions ranged from “what do you like best about Emma?” “What is your favorite color” and “what do you do after school?” It was so much fun and Emma really enjoyed the power of the magic wand and me being there. After many, many big hugs, kisses, and “I will see you in 3 hours” I left and headed back home.


It was so much fun and I am so glad that I had a chance to do it. Emma was so proud that I was there as well. However, Emma told me when she got home that she cried a little bit for me after I left, but not that much. Her next question? “Mom? When can you come and be the Royal Reader again?”


No comments: