I recently posted how we bought Evan a big boy bike, which required a change to Emma's princess bike. She has been wanting and waiting for us to take of her training wheels and this was the perfect opportunity. Tim took the old, white princess training wheels off of Emma's bike, painted them black, and put them on Evan's bike. AND the whole house was happy.
We worked with Emma yesterday for about 10 minutes to ride her big girl bike (sans training wheels) and she would not at all let me take my hands off the bike seat. She didn't really get the balance, got frustrated, and decide to ride her scooter.
Tonight after Catechism, the boys were outside and it was so nice outside that we decided to join them. Evan was tearing it up on his big boy bike and loving life. He was proud of himself that he could ride on the grass. And, once that thrill wasn't good enough, he decided to pedal as fast as he could on the blacktop and THEN go down the hill on the grass. Thankfully for me, he didn't embark on racing down the BIG hill in the back. He was just flying down one of the small hills in the front. Although, Tim did remind me (gotta love husbands for this) that it will probably only be a short time until he decides to try the big hill. Which, in my mind I picture him going down the big hill, going over the handle bars and breaking an arm. ANYWAY - Evan loves his bike.
Emma got out her big girl bike tonight too. I was helping her for a bit and then wanted to come in the house to change out of my work clothes. I make it outside maybe 5 minutes later when Tim yells to me "Check this out! Emma is doing it on her own!" I, slightly shocked after yesterdays trial and error, run outside in time to catch Tim helping her get started and then letting go. Down the driveway Emma rides - all by herself on her big girl bike, no training wheels - and a HUGE smile the whole way! She stops towards the end of the driveway and yells! "SEE MOM! I CAN DO IT!" I run down to hug her, help her turn and balance and she is off again! Then, obviously, I run in to get the video camera to get both Emma and Evan enjoying their bikes! Yea! We are still working on turning and starting her on her own, but I don't think that will be too long.
I am so excited! What a great time to learn, since it is right before the summer and we can be out biking together!
No comments:
Post a Comment