Saturday, April 4, 2009

I am bigger than the sky.

As said by my lovely daughter today. No surprise as Tim and I always say, "When Emma does something, she does it with gusto." We have been having some really great days here lately. (For those that have already read my sister's blog, I apologize for the redundancy.) Friday the neighbors came over to play. That is all that Emma wanted from Thursday on- to play with Kyra and Kaylee. Friday morning came, Emma woke up, and right away it was when are Kyra, Kaylee, and Kristen coming over?

We did an art project - cotton balls on a paper plate and you have the Easter bunny - wonderful I know. The funny thing is our intent was to have the kids line the paper plate and ears with cotton balls and to cover the ears. Kyra and Kaylee did a fine job - Emma's creation was a big furry mess. Let's just say that cotton balls covered EVERY INCH of the paper plate. It was cute, just doesn't look like a bunny :-)

Then, we roasted hot dogs. I am not sure why I thought this would be a good idea in low 40 degree weather, breezy and cloudy. But, Kristen went along with it and off we went to get it together. The firewood was already in a bundle (thank you Tim!) and we went to assemble groceries and off we went to the back yard. The kids had a great time. Thankfully we bundled them up pretty good. Evan - not so much. He was bundled in his carseat and took a bit of a nap. Kristen dragged our little climber back by the fire pit and we got the fire going. Now, we don't have the best history making fires- but this one was a doozy. Bright flames cascading from the pyramid of logs in the middle - higher and higher - providing much needed heat to our chilled fingers and nourishment to our bellies. Ahh - what a sight! Plus, I love the smell of a good campfire. It really was a nice time. If only it was a bit warmer :-)

Pictures in no certain order....














(Sorry, I know there are a lot of them, but it was such a fun day and I thought these pictures captured the fun we had out there.)

Today was a "Mama and Daddy Day" as she calls it. We ran some errands in the morning and then I made it outside to go for a bike ride. It was the second time out on it and it was fun. I cleaned the house a little bit this afternoon and Emma tried to be a big helper and watch Evan. She hates it when I vacuum, so she always heads up to her room when I do it. The nice thing for her now is that we put some of her Barbies up there yesterday, so she had some fun things to play with. (quick side note, that kid is funny with her Barbies. She loves dressing them and is always talking and acting out a scene. All of her Barbies are named Kate and her little girl Barbies are named Little Kate. Likewise, all of her mermaid dolls are named Mariana. Funny, I know.)

Anyway, she was up in her room playing when I stop vacuuming. "Mama - you done yet?" "No, Emma - Evan doesn't like the vacuum either. So, I am going to put him in his crib." She convinces me to put him in her room, so we get him all set up with his toys and his pillow behind him, just in case he falls back. "Emma - you are in charge. He cannot have any of your Barbie stuff by him, those can choke him. Help him out and don't push him over!" "I know Mama - I am bigger than the sky. I can watch him." (sigh) So, I continue vacuuming the living room and 2 minutes after I put him up there, I am back to check in.

I come up to see the door closed and this worries me - but when I walk in, she is playing Barbies and he is happily chewing on his toys - still sitting up. Hmmm... makes him sound like a dog. Anyway... "Emma - how did it go." Emma: "He did good." (eyes wide open and big smile on her face) Then she turns to him and says, "Are you happy little guy? Are you? I take good care of you, don't I little guy?! Don't worry Mama, he is good up here with me." So, I smile (and maybe tear up a little big again, I can't help it, she is getting so big and is usually so good with him!" and leave, but I leave the door open a little bit so I can watch them. She turns to him, tickles him, and falls on the floor - which makes him laugh. She laughs and does the same thing and then says "WHAM!" He laughs again - then she tickles him again and laughs. It is seriously, the sweetest thing I have ever seen. This goes on until I go downstairs to vacuum one more room.

Later on, Emma and I head to the YMCA to go swimming. This is her first trip there and she has a blast. They have a nice little water slide that she can ride down with me - plus water toys like noodles, ducks, boats, etc. Anyway, we had a great time. When we were getting ready go to, I was going to put Evan in his crib again with toys so I could pack our bag and Emma says, "Put the Little Man in my room - I can watch him. He can keep my company."

Other Emma quotes from today (she had a ton of them today, she was making me laugh all day)...
--as Tim was going outside to check the grill, he leaves the sliding door open. "Hey Daddy, you need to close the door! You are going to let bugs in!"
--As Emma and I were leaving the Y "Mama, that was actually a lot of fun. I will have to tell Daddy all about the Y."

I had to write down some of her sayings todayso I would remember them. That kid cracks me up - but, like she told me today, "Mama, I am bigger than the sky!"

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I suspect you had some gems of quotes when you were almost 3, too ;-))

I nominate your backyard with a campfire for a book club meeting in the near future... :-))