I started the making of the costume process roughly a month ago. I printed out some big pictures of the characters and in the way of Project Runway, I had to "Make it work!" HAHA! Of course, dealing with the Minnesota weather, my first concern is always to keep the kiddo's warm. So, I bought some fake Ugg boots for Emma and had Evan wear her old ones. Some vests and Fleece coats were purchased and then was the skirt and headband for Astrid. Not too bad. I spent more than I normally spend on costumes, but in my defense, mostly everything other than the skirt, is wearable again at normal times.
I was able to volunteer in Emma's classroom early that day for the big Halloween party and that was so much fun! They had 5 stations with fun Halloween activities, such as pin the nose on the jack o' lantern and Halloween bingo, lots of snacks, and the the Halloween parade. Even Tim made it in to watch the parade and Emma was so excited to have us there. She was unfortunately also emotional and we had some big tears again when we left. However, once again, we got an email from her wonderful teacher saying that she calmed down not soon after we left and enjoyed the day again.
After the classroom Halloween party it was more work for me and then preparations for the big night of Trick -or- Treating. Emma came with me to pick up Evan from daycare so she could see her friends. Then, off to pick up a quick pizza and head back home to rush through supper and get the eager little kiddo's in their costumes.
Here are some pics of Astrid and Hiccup.
Yes, they don't look exactly look like the characters, but both were happy (and warm!) with the final costume. It was neat to see Emma exclaim in the mirror: "Mommy! I am Astrid!"
A pic of the family.... minus me, of course!
Emma swinging her axe. These were a HUGE hit for the kids and they were constantly jousting and hitting things with them.
And Hiccup. He didn't really like wearing his vest or his horns and didn't really understand why he had to wear them. But, I made him wear them when we were out trick-or-treating.
We headed out around 6pm with the neighbors in the boo train! The boo train is always a huge hit and it couldn't have been a better night! The kids were comfy in the trailers with their blankets and anticipation on their faces! We hit up a different area of our neighborhood this year and the families were so happy we visited! We were told many times "We didn't have any kids last year! Thanks so much for stopping." and, the thing the kids LOVED hearing "Take more candy! we may not have anyone else stop!"
All-in-all, a great evening!
And after... LOVING the candy!
And... one of my favorite things of the evening...
Evan going through his pile of stuff and after finding this exclaims "Look Mama! Beer!!"
1 comment:
You probably should make a 21st birthday card out of this picture in the future :)
Post a Comment