Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Time at the farm

A few weeks ago, daycare was closed and Evan took a small trip to the farm to visit Nana and Papa. He was so excited about this because as he put it "I am going to feed calves and eat pancakes!"

With that short list of things to do there, he got busy. He helped Papa feed calves in the morning, went hunting for treasures with Nana, and rode in the combine. He loved riding in the combine and was really good for Nana and Papa, so that is always good to hear.

Emma and I went to visit later in the week as she was off of school Thursday and Friday. We got to do all the fun stuff that Evan did and then some! The Kellogg's were there also and we all played games, visited with family, and climbed the bluff.

Climbing the bluff was always such a fun activity when I was a kid as we trekked up the hill with family and backpacks filled with everything for a good campfire & hotdog roast. Unfortunately, this time the trails were not the same as they were when I was kid. On the way up, we were fine. On the way down, let's just say I had to find a path. As my uncle put it "I was kind of questioning your navigating skills on the way down." and to be honest... so was I. In other words, I couldn't find the way down, so we had to make it. All involved were big troopers as we ducked under brush, plowed our way through berry bushes, and well, descended down a steep part of the hill. I had little Kate on my front in a sling, I was carrying Evan on my hip part of the time on the descent as he was NOT having a good time, and I was trying to appear calm for my loyal followers. Not so much fun. Well, at the time it was not so much fun. Looking back on it, it was fun. I just feel bad for all the wilderness we were trying to climb through. Next time, we will be much more prepared.

Here are some pics of the time spent at the farm:


Dad with his new ride. Let's just say he does anything for his grandkids!





Evan feeding calves. The day I went down there with him, it was his second day helping Papa feeding calves. So, Evan was telling me exactly how to do it. He told me how many scoops of milk replacer to use, how much water, and where the pails went.

Here he is, acting all cool, waiting for the next calves to feed. (and yes, he is standing on a little "mixing station")







Step #1: Add the Water






Step #2: Measure and add the milk replacer:




(and when asked if he wanted to bring some in the kitchen for breakfast, he did the "No Mama! I am not a calf!")





Step 3: Mix! This was probably his favorite part:










Emma was there as well. She didn't get into the feeding of the calves as much. She was just playing with the kitties.









Here are some pics on the bluff. This was when we finally got to the top and we were enjoying our snacks.




My kiddo's with the great view. Evan exclaimed "Mama, it beautiful up here!" and Emma agreed with "I can see forever!"




Here are the girls waiting for the combine in a corn field.






And, my little girl:








Kristen with Kate:






No comments: