Today was a great day. The littlest child slept in this morning until 7:15 and the eldest child until 7:45. For the start of the weekend and sleeping, it doesn't get much better than that! The kids excitement from the tree happenings last night carried over until today and they were bouncing all over the house again this morning wanting to decorate, rearranging the stockings, and admiring my Christmas village. This... all before we even had breakfast.
The day progressed well. We had a birthday party to attend this morning and the kids really enjoyed that. They meshed and played well with all the other little children there (for the most part anyway. Evan has a hard time sharing at times, but got over it) won some cute little party favors and filled themselves with pizza and an ice cream sundae bar. YUM!
After that, it was home again to try to get them to nap. I did not succeed. Emma normally does not nap anymore, but stays in her room for quiet time for 30 minutes before coming out. Evan has been struggling with his nap as of late and today was no different. I tried to lay down with him, as I actually wanted to nap, but after little fingers in my nose and the occasional tickle or cheek smoosh (or in Evan speak Oochie Smoochie) I realized it wasn't going anywhere. All went downstairs to finally do the thing they had wanted to do for a few weeks - decorate the tree.
It was great and so much fun with the kiddos spontaneously breaking out into holiday song and actually working together for once. The lower branches are literally sagging with ornaments, but Tim got the glare from me whenever he tried to move one as I think the tree is perfect. With only two ornaments broke (and thankfully just the cheapo bulb ones) I have concluded it was a success. Plus, with Emma declaring at supper that we should turn off all the lights in the house and "do the carol thing and sing around the beautiful tree" I think the kids thought it was a success as well.
Anyway - the real reason for this blog post - a site Tim saw while I was away at my eye doctor appointment.. . .
the kids were playing outside in the snow with the tubes and the little-sort-of-snowboard-thing they have. When I left, I casually mentioned it to him that he may want to peek in on them from time-to-time because as I was leaving I heard/saw Emma tell Evan "Evan, this will make it SO much funner" and I see Emma standing up on the front of the snowboard and Evan sitting on the snowboard behind her as they descend down our hill. Sure enough, as I expected, Emma fell right on top of Evan and they rolled down the rest of the hill. There was no crying or no complaints at the bottom of the hill thankfully. I just shook my head and left for the eye doctor.
The best though is what Tim noticed later. Both kids were still outside and he was starting to work on supper. He looks out the kitchen window to the backyard and sees Emma laying on her stomach on the snowboard and her poor little brother hunched over, pushing her around the yard. Evan stops, probably because he was tired, and Emma starts trying to push herself with her arms (ala surfing or something) and stops. Then she says "EVAN - this is too much work! You have to push me, I cannot do it." So, you guessed it, he hunches over and starts pushing her around again.
I, of course, ask Tim - "Well, didn't you go out there and tell her to stop being so bossy?" while I am laughing though, because that is just like Evan to follow his sister blindly and do whatever she asks. Tim replies, "Nope - he will figure it out soon enough." and that was that.
No comments:
Post a Comment