"MOM! I just love, love, love, the holidays!!"
. . . as she bounds into the laundry room to get her snowpants on so we could go and get the tree.
Finally - the day had come for Emma and Evan - getting the Christmas tree! Emma has been asking since Thanksgiving, so that means that Evan has been asking since Thanksgiving as well, when we could get our Christmas tree. She has been so excited all day and then, the above quote when I told her it was time.
We had hoped to go and cut down our own tree this year, but other stuff going on this weekend limited that. But really, we just go out of the truck tonight at the Tree Farm and the kids were browsing through the trees when they started the "Mom! We are cold!" So, it took maybe 15 minutes to pick out a tree and we were done. So, I am thinking it is okay that we didn't trek through the woods this year.
We have decided not to decorate it tonight as we are going to let the branches fall a bit, but we still got the stockings out, my Christmas village, the garland, and all the other little Christmas knick-knacks. They both were running around, placing a snowman here and a Santa there, moving something that the other one carefully arranged, and making each other mad with each stocking switch by the fireplace. Evan just couldn't seem to get those stockings right and did the "But Momma! They just aren't right yet!" as Emma is there tightly clutching her stocking so Evan doesn't move it. I am sure that those will be moved at an average of 10 times a day.
Both of the kids have received their video's from Santa and were told they were on the nice list, so they are pretty happy about that. They both loved getting that email and watched wide-eyed as Santa browsed through their pictures and talked about all they had done that year. (Technology is great for this kind of thing!) So, disciplining the kids is somewhat easier this time of year as I just have to remind them about the ever-important list and they obey a lot easier after that. Unfortunately, Evan likes to use this to his advantage and we hear him say about once a day, "Emma - you better stop dat or Santa put you on da NAUGHTY list!"
This upcoming weekend will be great as we have a birthday party to attend, I have an eye doctor appointment (which normally isn't all the exciting, but it is my "on" year for getting new frames, so I get to pick out glasses!) then, we are decorating the tree! I plan to make popcorn so we can snack and string some on the tree. Then, relaxation and a Christmas movie!
Their enthusiasm is infectious and it just makes this time of year even better. It is so magical for them and I love seeing the holiday season through their eyes. I often think, why didn't I videotape this as I don't want to forget their excitement, their expressions and this moment. If I could, I would videotape and remember everything, for that one day in the future, many years from now when they are gone with their families, so I will still be able to remember. I will remember the "MOM! I love, love, love the holidays!" and the "Santa will put you on da naughty list" and their wide eyes, big smiles, and holiday enthusiasm.
No comments:
Post a Comment