Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Deer hunting

It is a tradition in the Heuer house to go down to my hometown for deer hunting. The kids enjoy being there for two full weekends with their Nana (or Ana in Evan speak), I enjoy the family camaraderie, and Tim always enjoys any chance he can have to shoot a deer. And yes, his total is 7 deer this year. (Thankfully we have many family members who want deer.... we cannot eat that much venison.) Do not be concerned, none of the deer that he shoots to go waste.

Anyway, with the truck completely loaded with hunting stuff, winter stuff, dog stuff, kid stuff, and parent stuff, we head down. Unfortunately, the past few years of deer hunting have not been good for me. I rarely see a deer and when I do see a deer, I don't hit them. Oh well - it is all about the family bonding anyway, right?

This year, both Emma and Evan wanted to go hunting with us. Fun, right? They had a lot of fun shopping for the blaze orange clothes and were excited to go out with us one morning. Of course, the snacks in the truck along with the portable DVD player helped. They sat with Tim mostly, although Emma did walk in the woods one morning when we were short of hunters. She had a great time, but, unfortunately we didn't see a deer. She was pretty sure she saw a toad in the woods though :-)

Hunting is always fun and I think Nana and Papa enjoying having us down too! We have popcorn, play games, watch movies and hunt a little too.

No comments: