Thursday, February 14, 2013

The 20 minute bracelet ordeal

Evenings lately have been a challenge for Evan.  Emma lately has been completely exhausted and even asks if she can go to bed without stories.  Evan, on the other hand, doesn't appear to be tired.

Tonight it was AT LEAST a 20 minute ordeal.

First, he and Emma were fighting about stories and who got to sit where on the couch. So, I put the book down and tell them story time is over and we are going to bed. They were both exhausted and taking it out on everyone else. So, yes, time for bed.  They still had 3 stories, they didn't get to watch a show, and it was bedtime around 8.

Then - the bracelet ordeal.

Emma was in bed with no problem.

Evan didn't want to brush his teeth.  Then he didn't want to clean up the bathroom (after a messy bath).  Then he still wanted stories.  Then he was complaining about not watching a show.  Then it was "Fine!  Then I am not going to give you a kiss."  then "Fine!  I am not going to put covers on then."   Grrr....

Finally, I got the kid in bed so I could start homework.  This was probably about 8:15. Then as I was taking out contacts and washing off makeup, I heard a small knock and a small, feeble voice saying "Mama?! I got something on my hands."    I go to investigate and smell and see an oily substance on his hands.  He was found writing on his books earlier this evening (writing Evan on all of his books so no one would take them) and Tim was washing them off. So, I assumed it was a weird soap.  We washed his hands, put on good smelling lotion, and sent him off to bed.  Two minutes later he comes in and says his hands are glowing.    Fine, small child, your hands are magical and glowing.  GO TO BED!

A minute later, I hear him washing his hands again.  I go and investigate and it turns out that he got a glow bracelet for Valentines Day from one of his little friends.  He had the glow bracelet in bed and was squeezing it and some of the liquid substance came out!  in his bed!  on his hands!  on his sheets!  We take off one of his sheets (as he said it was glowing) and tucked him back in bed.

Two minutes later he is out again saying that his bed smells!  In I go AGAIN (and am getting more and more frustrated) and change his sheets, take his pillow case off, take precious BB, and bring them down to the laundry.  He washes his hands again.  I take off his bed rails (as he his 4 and a big boy he says) and put on new sheets, find a new comforter, assure him that Monkey Dunkey is clean, and say that he can go to bed.  I give him a kiss, tell him to stay in bed, and try to start some homework.

HE GETS UP AGAIN!  I tell him to go talk to Daddy.  Tim is frustrated as well as he knows what is going on and more forcefully tells Evan to go to bed... or else!  Then, classic Evan, says "Daddy? I think you are losing your patience with me."  I bust out laughing in the laundry room where Evan cannot see me.  Tim keeps his composure and tells Evan that he is frustrated and that it is past bedtime and it was time for him to lay down for good.

And - you know what? It worked.

No comments: