Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Mr. Tough Guy

I have often said that Evan is all boy.  Rough-n-tough, throwing balls, aiming guns, pestering his sister, and worrying his Mom.  Well, tonight in my mind says it all : Evan is one tough little dude and always wants to appear that way to his family.

I was sitting here watching the news with Tim and the kids are in bed.  It is lightening and thundering out and, like normal, Emma comes out because she is scared.  We console her and usher her back in bed, which gets Tim and I talking about the difference between Emma and Evan.  Emma loves coming out from her bed to get a hug from me, whether she has a bad dream, hears a rumble of thunder, or thinks something is scary. Evan, on the other hand, is completely opposite.  Evan has told us a few times that when he is scared or hears thunder that is loud ("or really booming!" in Evan speak) he burrows under his blankets and covers his head.  He hasn't come into our room for a long time. 

But tonight was something new.  A while back, we took off the railings on Evan's bed because, well, he is four and we thought it was time.  His bed at the cabin is higher than normal as he has dresser drawers underneath the mattress, but still, we thought it would be okay.  Evan was a bit concerned, but just because he didn't want all of his things to fall out of bed (which actually is a concern because his bed is pack-rat city with cars, stuffed animals, blankets, pillows, you name it) but he agreed.  It has been two months, maybe, since we took them off and everything seemed to be going okay.  He never came and got us because he fell out of bed or started crying, so we assumed everything was good.  But, Emma told Tim tonight that Evan has fallen out of bed (the two kids share a room at the cabin) and that he just climbs up and gets back in!

I instantly felt horrible!  The two kids were in bed when I heard this story, but I couldn't help it!  I had to go in and chat with Evan to see if he has fallen out of bed before.  He and Emma were still up, so it was a good time to talk quickly. 

So, I went in, picked him up and said, "Evan - have you fallen out of bed here before?"   Evan buried his head and hid his eyes "Um No...."   silence... then...    "Well, maybe sometimes....."  Uh!  Instant heartache for my poor little boy that has been falling out of bed and not telling me!

I am pretty sure I smother him with kisses, lay him in bed with Emma for a minute, and put his railings up.  He seemed to be okay with it and was anxious to snuggle back in bed.  I have told him before, especially after hearing that he buries his head under covers during storms, that he can come in if he is scared, but he obviously prefers not to for some reason.  He is one tough little boy.... unless he has a scratch or boo-boo.  But, that is a story for another day.

No comments: