Friday, July 20, 2012

Summer School

The kids and I have fallen into a routine where we play school at night.  I was a bit concerned that I haven't been working with Evan like I used to do with Emma when she was little, so we are doing crash courses on spelling, important phone numbers, and numbers.  Emma loves playing school too, so we are continuing to work on her reading and math so she doesn't forget what she learned in kindergarten!  Plus - Target has a great deal in their dollar section now with little wipe boards, dry-erase pens, and workbooks for Pre-K, K, and school grades. So for $10 I loaded up the Heuer School and after supper, we play school.  (I am lucky, I get to play the bus driver, teacher, and recess flag lady).  It is fun for everyone really.  I had tossed around going to college for teaching, so it is kind of fun to play teacher once in awhile... and bus driver... and recess flag lady!  They are all a hoot.

At this moment, Evan pretty much knows how to spell his name. But, we are continuing to work on the letters and how they look.  He is also still trying to figure out if he is right-handed or left-handed, as he does everything with both yet hands.



Concentrating hard on his name.


The final worksheet.
 And Miss Emma.  She is still working on reading Level 1 books, but does enjoy practicing most nights.  I often read to her from her Kit (American Girl Doll) books as they are chapter books, but she loves hearing the stories.  We have had some interesting questions from her lately as Kit is a little girl who lives during the Depression.  Kit's Dad loses his job and they have to take in boarders so they don't lose their house. So, from these stories I get questions from Emma now "Mommy, are we going to lose our house?  Mommy, what if Daddy doesn't find a job?  Mommy, do we need to take in boarders?"


Taking a spelling test.


Her math tents.


Her first spelling test.  9 out of 10 isn't too bad!
 I figure it is a fun way to keep learning during the summer and to spend good quality time together.  Although their favorite time during "summer school" may be recess some days or riding the bus others, it is still a good way to past the time.

**and - check out Target for their neat little books and school stuff!

No comments: