I am so excited and happy with our garden this year. Past years our garden has been slightly neglected. Actually, let me rephrase that. Past years our garden has been very neglected, but fortunately we still got a fair amount of produce. However because of the domination of weeds, Tim had gone to extreme measures to clear the weeds... aka.. has used weed killers such as round-up instead of using good ole' hands and hoes. This year, not the case. We are reaching a point where the Heuer kiddo's can entertain themselves for roughly 20 minutes at a time (some days better, some days worse) and this enables Tim and me to weed the garden. Sometimes the kids help weed (especially if enticed with $1 allowance to help), sometimes they run through the rows and play hide-n-seek, sometimes they drive the weeds away in their gator. Either way, I get roughly 20 minutes each night at least to weed the garden. I now find this to be relaxing and rewarding instead of a constant chore. Probably because this year my garden rocks and I am proud of it.
My tomatoes are taller than me, my newly planted strawberries are looking great, and I added a small bunch of rhubarb as well to enjoy next year.
 |
| Not perfect, still some weeds, but it still rocks. |
 |
| The harvest from this evening. |
Evan has now been nicknamed "the tomato whisperer". Maybe it is because of his size and ability to see low in the plants, but he is able to find all the red tomatoes in the rows. And, he loves doing this.
 |
| The kiddo's happy with their discoveries. |
 |
| My pretty sunflowers. |
So, nightly, we make our way to the garden. I pull some weeds, the kids grab buckets and find tomatoes or green beans and then run off to play. Now we know to keep all of our produce up high or guarded. The first three tomatoes Evan found were eaten by Sage.
No comments:
Post a Comment