Monday, September 10, 2012

Wise Advice from a first grader

Emma and I went for a walk last night.  She wanted some alone time with Mom and it is nice to do that with her and get in some exercise. We usually take Sage and many times she wants to hold hands, so it is a nice way to relax and connect with my daughter.

Last night on our walk, we talked about first grade and how she liked it.  Discussion topics were her friends, her teacher and all that stuff that is important to 6 year olds. 

I talked to her about my new job and that I am nervous to start.  She wondered why, so I told her it is a lot like starting first grade.  You don't know who is in charge, you don't have friends yet, and you have a lot to learn.  So I told her that she should tell me how she makes friends and that advice would help me out. So, I ask her "Emma - how do you meet kids? How do you make friends?"

"Well Mommy, first you have to be nice.  Kids want to be friends with nice people. Then, you need to sit with them at lunch in the lunchroom and be nice to them.  Then, and this is the hard part, you just have to ask them if they want to be your friend.  I get nervous about that part, but you just need to ask if they will be your friend.  That is what you should do."

At this, my mind starts processing and I ask "Emma - you ask kids to be your friend?"  and she looks at me like I am crazy and says "Well, yea. How else will you know if they want to be your friend?"  and then I start to feel bad and say "do they all say yes?"   per Emma, very nonchalantly: "yea, most of them do."  and this is when I start to feel worried... "Most of them do? People have said no?"  she shakes her head "No, not really... most say yes.  Yea, they say yes"

And that is all I could get out of her. She asks kids to be her friend and most say yes....   I feel bad for my little monkey!  She puts herself out there like that ... those little punks all better say yes to my baby girl.

No comments: