Friday, September 5, 2008

A trip to the hospital and a sock pocket.

I thought (and hoped) that I was having contractions this afternoon. Actually, I was having weird side pain that at times was really painful, but I felt tightness in my belly, so I was hoping they were contractions. So, I called up Tim at his golf outing, called the neighbors and was hoping to have some good news. I made an appointment at the hospital to check it out and, well, 4.5 hours later, came back home.

Turns out, after a non-stress test for the baby (where they monitor contractions and the baby's heartbeat), blood tests and other tests for me, internal exams, an ultrasound, AND 4.5 hours later (have I mentioned that?!) I have an inflamed or irritated part of a kidney that is causing the pain. I guess it can happen late in pregnancy when the uterus gets bigger and really the only thing that will stop it is delivering the baby. They said I should drink lots of water, take tylenol, and take baths if I want, but really, the only thing that will cure it is the delivery. Great -even more incentive for us to meet the baby sooner rather than later :-)

The ultrasound was really neat. They ordered it to check out my kidneys, placenta, and amniotic fluid, but the tech was really nice and showed us a lot of the baby also. Yup, it IS a boy! But he was moving around so much, it was really cool. The tech made the comment that she had never seen a baby that was this far along move that much. His little tongue was constantly out to suck his thumb or lick his hands, it was really neat. You could see him kick around in there and shift to move, it was really cool. We didn't get any good pictures as he was always on the go, but I figure we will meet him soon anyway.

So, I did NOT get to spend time with my aunt and cousins that came up which was a bummer, but am glad I went to rule out any infections or anything like that. I am feeling a bit better now, but have taken some tylenol and have been drinking water since we got home.

A huge thanks to my family across the street and the visitors for watching our little one. I got a good report! Funny thing though, as we are coming down our stairs for her to read stories, she reaches down for her socks and pulls out a sugar packet! I (obviously) am a bit confused and ask her where she got that. "Uncle Craig put it there - in my little sock pocket :-)" So, thank you Craig! I made sure to check her other "sock pocket" for any other hidden goodies!

No comments: