Thursday, September 1, 2011

Getting ready for Kindergarten

We have been lucky to be able to go to Emma's school a few times before the big day. While she has been able to meet her teacher a few times and meet some new friends, I think it has made her more nervous as well... therefore, making me more nervous as well.


One of the events we went to was the Ice Cream Social last week. We got to meet her teacher, watch a movie from past kindergarten kids, meet other kids, and walk around the school. It was fun to be there, to see the other little nervous kids and of course, to play on the playground! While she was playing on the playground, I noticed a Mom there that looked a little familiar. So, I went over to her, she did the inquisitive look as I could tell she recognized me as well and it turns out, we both go to the same church. And luckily, wouldn't you know it, her daughter and Emma were in the same Sunday School class AND they both have the same kindergarten teacher. YEA! I am so happy that Emma will have somewhat of a familiar face in her classroom. Then the rest of the playdate they would be kind of shy, yet smiley around each other and it was all good! So, this school visit was definitely a success.


Today, was the Open House at the school. We got to go to her room, find her cubby, her hook for hanging her coat & backpack on, practice the walk from the bus to her room, etc. She seemed pretty nervous and shy for this meeting. There were a lot of kids around, many people in her room with parents and kids and I think it was a bit overwhelming for her. But, fun. . . I do think she had fun.

So, we got to her classroom and picked up her scavenger hunt sheet to figure out what her "to do" list was today. She got to draw a picture at the art station, she got to find her name on the birthday list and lunch list, she got to dance around the alphabet reading mat, play with puzzles, practice inputting her pin in the cafeteria, and introduce herself to some new friends. It was fun and I think it helped her, but made her nervous as well.

After handing in our homework, getting a hug from her teacher, we left the school hand-in-hand to this question:

"Mama... what if there are bullies in my class?"

Ahh... there it is. One clue of what she may be nervous about. So, I talk her though it as best as I know how. It is getting harder! These questions she is asking and these experiences she is going to be having are getting harder to talk through! I was talking to her about strangers and what to do around strangers, but then realized that EVERYONE in her school are strangers (for the most part of course). So I had to do the, "Umm.. let me get back to you" on the stranger bit until I knew how to frame it better.

I am getting nervous as well. What if the bus comes to pick her up and she just stares at the open door and says, "Yea, I am not going."? While I am so thankful she has Kyra and Kaylee to get on the bus with to help her out, she is still on her own of sorts. I know I shouldn't be nervous, but as it gets closer, I can't help it. My baby is going to be on her own for so long now! She is leaving the nest and while I am so excited, I am nervous and sad and I just don't know what else. I know she will do well and I know that she is ready... but am I ready? While she puts on a tough exterior, there are times where she still hides behind my legs and buries her face in my shirt. I don't know... I am nervous right along with her.

No comments: