Thursday, September 8, 2011

The inevitable happens



At the cabin over the Labor Day weekend, we had one afternoon that we enjoyed in the water. The water is getting cooler, plus last weekend the air temperature was cool as well. So, Saturday afternoon was the one day we splashed and played in the water - for possibly the last time this year.

Evan always wants to do the water ski trainer. That is usually the first thing out of his mouth when we head down to the lake "Trainer! I want to do the trainer Mama!" So, of course, being potentially our last time in the lake, we say yes. We get his glasses on, life jacket on tight, and get him comfortable on the trainer and we take off.

The lake was very busy at this time with everyone enjoying the lake for maybe the last weekend. So, Tim was doing some weaving on the jet-ski and going over a lot of boat wakes so our little guy could have fun on the trainer. I, personally, think Tim was going a little fast and maybe weaving a bit too much on the jet-ski for our little boy. But, I don't say anything because I know I will get "the look" from Tim and the "Kelly, he is fine" speech. During the ride, I am trying to motion to Evan to sit down, I hit Tim occasionally to slow down, and try to keep everything easy for Evan.

So, we are at the other end of the lake near the resort, when Tim takes a turn and Evan sails outside the jetski wake. Then, the trainer comes back in and is teetering on the edge of the wake when all of a sudden it loses balance and Evan falls off the trainer into the water. At this point in time, my nightmare.

I shout "TIM! He's in! He's in" as I see my little Evan bobbing safely (and not crying) in the water. Emma is riding in front of the jetski and starts screaming. Tim slows down, tells Emma to be quiet, turns towards Evan and I jump in to start swimming towards him so he doesn't get scared. I start talking to Evan. "Good boy Evan! Good job - see how the life jacket is keeping you up? This is just like deep swimming, right Evan? Are you okay, Evan?" Over and over until I get to him so I can pull him in close and make sure he feels safe.

Evan right away says, "I fell in the water Mama. I fell off the trainer! I lost my sunglasses Mama." and keeps repeating those phrases over and over. I think his lip quivers a little bit, but overall, he is doing great. (while I am still nervous and a basket case on the inside while silently cursing Tim for going too fast.) We talk through it a bit more and Evan decides he wants to get back on the trainer. Good deal.. so we head back in. However, I can tell that he is getting a lot of water splashed in his eyes on the way back in without his sunglasses on.

Once we get back in, Evan decides he wants to go back out with goggles on. Good deal! I think to myself as I tell myself that the fall didn't affect him at all. Other than him being pretty sure that he is going to catch a fish that is wearing his sunglasses sometime. We get him settled again and head out. This time, he seems more nervous and doesn't stand on the trainer. He sits and looks more nervous. Then, not even a quarter of the way in that ride, I can see him mouthing or saying the words, "Mama" over and over. I tell Tim to stop, so he does and we circle back to Evan. "Mama, I almost fell in the water!" So, obviously, he is nervous. I talk him through it and we advance again, albeit slower. Shortly in this trip, he starts mouthing "mama" again repeatedly and Tim and I decide to pull him up on the jetski with us and take him back to the cabin.

The lake was so busy and the wind was blowing a little bit and the water was just rough. Yes, I knew it was inevitable that eventually he would fall in and he handled it great, he really did. Tim thinks I am a bit crazy for being so nervous about it, but seriously, my little guy was not even three!! How can I be crazy for being nervous? Plus, Tim was driving too fast :-)

No comments: