Thursday, September 8, 2011

The hide and go seek debacle

This past weekend we were able to make it up to the cabin on Friday morning, which was very nice. Our family got to enjoy a nice, quiet, relaxing four-day weekend before school started. Well, I was hoping to enjoy a nice, quiet, relaxing holiday. Evan, it seems, had different plans.

Friday night, Tim and I were making a seafood extravaganza for supper. Shrimp scampi, shrimp cocktail, white wine scallops, buttered parmesan noodles, and steak were on the menu. So, we were busy in the kitchen and the kids were playing hide-n-go seek. To translate in parent speak, Tim was cooking and I was constantly being tagged in with "MAMA! Come find us!" Anyway, all were having fun. Now for any of those out there with young kids or a lot of experience with young kids, you probably realize that a game of hide-n-go seek is really a no-brainer game. The kids are constantly hiding in the same spot and giggling. Emma is getting better at this game, but Evan is a dead give away every time with his "hee hee hee. Mama- find me!" banter the entire time. So, at the start of this particular game, I told the kids, "find new spots to hide and try to trick me!" to try and spark some real thought. But, they were playing in their room, so honestly, not too many places to hide.

Anyway....

The kids were having fun and I was in the kitchen with Tim, probably trying to enjoy a sip of wine. All of a sudden, we hear a giant "THUD!" followed by two kids screaming and hollering. I sprint into their bedroom and instantly start screaming myself "TIM! GET IN HERE!" as the scene I see is definitely not one I expected. The kids were both in their closet, the dresser was tipped over and leaning against the wall. Emma was pinned between the dresser and the wall and Evan was pinned behind the dresser against the other wall. Tim rushes in and tries to tip the dresser up as I am crying and trying to soothe the kids. I holler at Tim that he cannot do that as he hasn't noticed that Evan was behind it. Tim, by trying to tip the dresser up, was pressing the dresser against Evan. So, Tim slid Emma out with one arm, heaved Evan up and over with the other arm, and put them next to me so I could try to soothe both them and myself.

Not cool... not cool at all. This was easily one of the most scary things (at that particular moment anyway) that I have experienced. I say that because at that moment in time, I had no idea who was hurt, if they were hurt, or how bad. Both were screaming, both were scraped up, and I couldn't get either calm to get them to talk to me. In the end, both escaped with scrapes and bumps and were extremely lucky.

This is how the story has been pieced together:

Evan, in an attempt to find a new hiding spot, decided that the top of the dresser was a good idea. So, he pulled out the drawers and climbed up each one until he reached the top. As far as I can figure because the dresser is very light and was empty, the dresser got too heavy on the side Evan was on and tipped over against the wall where Emma was. While the dresser was falling over, Evan was thrown to the back and fell behind the dresser and was pinned against the wall, while Emma was pinned under the dresser against the wall because she was just standing in the closet.

Both kids were very shook up by this experience, Evan especially. Which yes, is a very, very good thing. He needed to be shook up by this, especially since he was so lucky and no one was seriously hurt. I was shook up as well and have done a run-through of every piece of furniture at the cabin and home so we don't have another experience like this. Evan was sternly spoken too about not climbing up furniture and I hope he got it. Honestly though, he has done this before and was as young as a year and a half (maybe) when he did this the first time.

And yes, we have plans to take the dresser out of their room. It was empty basically anyway, so why chance it? I guess I can just chalk this up to "boys will be boys" or something like that, but seriously, too scary for everyone involved. I cannot say it enough, they were both, very lucky.

No comments: