Just a few randoms for this evening.
#1 - I love not having class. While that probably goes without saying, it is so nice to play with the kids and not worry about studying. AND - to be able to watch TV at night without feeling guilty. Plus, I am reading fun books again! I am refreshing my memory on the Hunger Games books and getting ready to read the final one. Yea! I never got around to that one, but I am excited to read it now.
#2 - Emma is doing great with reading books! I have to admit, I was a bit worried that she would not share my love for reading as she never really seemed to try or want to read on her own. She didn't want to sound out letters and gave up pretty quickly. However, her end of year Scholastic Book Order came home from school with her and she was all excited that I got some Level 1 readers. That night, she and I took about 15 minutes and she read a Little Critter "Snow Soup" book all by herself. I showed her how to slowly sound out words and she did it all by herself! At the end, she was so proud of herself and that started it. A few days later, she brought "Snow Soup" in to her classroom and she got to be the Royal Reader! Now, every night she wants to read a different book. AND, the nice thing is that it is garage sale season, so we are buying lots of little books for her to practice on.
#3 Stranger Danger! Evan has been kind of obsessed with Stranger Danger lately.... really weird. He brings up Stranger Danger in conversations now and a few weeks back, he went running from the front door, flailing his arms and hollering "Stranger Danger" as a FedEx guy dropped off a package on our front door. He and Tim went to Cub Foods yesterday and when I got home from work that night, he had to tell me about Cub, the free cookie he got, and that there was stranger danger there. The funny thing? We go for bike rides and yells hi to everyone he sees that is out on their lawn. He even did a "Hey - I like your house" to one guy. Plus, he does a pleasant wave to those that drive by.
#4 Many nights, passer-byers will see the Heuers in the front yard, on the driveway, riding our bikes. With Emma practicing without her training wheels, Evan practicing with his training wheels, and me trying to keep the peace, we have been enjoying a great new past time. Even Tim has gotten into the action and got a bike of his own. So, we ride to a close-by cul-de-sac so we can practice turns and have a little more maneuver space. Emma isn't as good with turns yet, so that is a great place to practice. Tonight, we even went a little farther and went to a cul-de-sac about a mile or so away. Emma did great and biked away from us so she could be on her own. Evan did okay. He isn't good with staying at the side of the road and makes me nervous. Emma wants to go out on her own without me and it makes me so nervous! Is she old enough? What if someone is texting in the car and not paying attention? What if she is not paying attention?! She is still learning how and doesn't have everything quite down yet. All these questions and no real answers!
No comments:
Post a Comment