Saturday, May 19, 2012

The sleepover

After months of begging, Emma finally got her wish - for Kyra and Kaylee to sleep over.  She has asked quite a bit in the past and usually because of activities going on, the cabin, or just wariness from me, I have said no.  However, last night we had nothing planned and I thought, "Well, what the hell!"

So, we had supper at Kristens last night since our prospective husbands weren't around and the kids and I came home with strict instructions "to pick up and make your room presentable for your friends!"  (Emma's room is usually full of clutter and toys and knick-knacks that you can barely see the floor!)"  Then, down to the basement we went with pillows, blankets, night-lights, pulled out the bed-n-couch, made popcorn, got movies and glowstations, and everything else that goes with sleep-overs.

The girls came over around 8pm, had cotton candy ice cream cones, and then went down to the basement to start the fun.  Yes, Evan was trailing constantly like an obedient little puppy and was distraught when he was told (after lugging down his sleeping bag, B, and pillow to the basement) that he was not going to be sleeping down there.  Yes, there were some tears, but after a big hug from me and promise that he could sleep in my bed last night, he seemed to be okay.

They watched Shark Tail, ate lots of popcorn, did the little girl scream when Sage wandered down, and then settled in for the night.  Emma came up a few times, but then after that, seemed settled in.

By the time I got to bed after organizing pictures and transferring from camera's to external drives (all the fun things on my to-do list when school is out), it was 11:30 and Evan was laying sideways in my bed and completely zonked out!  I got him arranged and settled in for a hopefully, long night of sleep.

This morning came early with Evan waking me up at 6:15 with his usual question of "Mom!  Did I sleep good?  Did I sleep long enough?"  Sigh... So, I got him ushered into his room with his leapster, so I could hopefully get a few more minutes of sleep.  Then comes Emma at 6:45 with the "We are so BORED Mom!  Can we watch Austin & Ally?" So, I get up, bring Evan downstairs, and turn on the big TV in the basement and all is well.  Per the girls, they all were up around 6am and were playing glow-station and dolls and were SO BORED!

Then, breakfast with mini-donuts (courtesy of Kristen) fruit, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, and toast.  More TV and dolls and now they are outside!  It has been an easy and lovely morning and has quickly dispelled any concerns I had over the sleepover. (obviously, since I am able to blog at 8AM in the morning!  that never happens!)

They are now outside playing before it gets too warm and before the day really starts. 

And quickly -before I go to eat my breakfast -  

I worry about Evan and the fact that he may be ignored or not treated nicely by his older sister and cousins.  So, as he was trailing them downstairs, I ask:

"Are they nice to you Evan?  You make sure they are nice to you and play with you!"
"Okay Mom - They're pretty nice" ... then he stops and says... "Well... sometimes nice"
and then he bounds down the stairs.

Happy Weekend!

No comments: